Blood Parrots and platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some juvenile Blood Parrots at a LFS, but was strongly advised by the LFS not to put them in with my Platies. They said that it wouldn't be long before they were big enough to hurt or eat the Platies.

I had parrots in with large angels, tin foil barbs, and danios before with no problems, so I was a little surprised that the platies would be at risk. The platies just don't seem that small to me, and the parrots seemed so peaceful. If I skip the blood parrots I was planning on adding more Angelfish, and make the Angels the central theme of the tank. What do you think?

I agree with Toritis, the blood parrot is also a highly aggressive fish. Have you looked at the severum? It is one of the genetic parents of the blood parrot. It is less aggressive, and I think that it is a better fish. They aren't expensive, and they are packed with personality. Well I added my two cents, hoped I helped.

I persooannly wouldnr add any parrots to a tank with plates reallly The only thing i can say is Your Mileage May Vary. Their are people than get a really nice blood parrot and it goes well with any fish and they have gotten really lucky but their is also the person that gets a blood parrot and he eats all their fish-And Mean Blood parrots are actually more common than nice blood parrots. I wouldnt do it but it is up to u.

JMHO

Thanks for the input. Aside from not liking the idea of commercial hybrid fish, I take it that you think they will be aggressive towards smaller fish. I had a pair in with larger fish and never saw agression. Made me tempted to to try them with my new community tank which incudes platies. Oh well.

patryuji - my plants have nothing to fear from any cichlids. Take a closer look at the species. :eek: It is the latinized scientific name for plastic plants. :p

Thats what i mean u obvisouly got reall lucky with the blood parrots and got 2 real nice ones but next time u might not be so lucky i just wouldnt risk it thouhg!

We have 3 Blood Parrots in our cichlid tank and have not had any problems. Currently we also have 4 parrots in with Rasbora's and Tetra's and haven't had any agression issues. I think it has more to do with how and when you introduce them into the tank and the sizes that you introduce them. As far as the parrots growing quickly, it takes a LONG time for them to grow to their full size. That's just my opinion. I love parrots and I know that they are hybrid's that's why I give them the best home they can possibly have.

Back
Top Bottom