Blood parrots doing mating dance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
My paired blood parrot cichlids have only laid eggs once and this is my first time watching them do their mating dance. How soon until they'll lay eggs?

I hope they lay eggs again smiley! But sorry I can't tell you how long good luck!

Well the true origin of blood parrots is unknown, but it's believed to be a cross between a red headed cichlid and a Midas cichlid. Males are often sterile, and sometimes females too. Very rarely does one find a male that is NOT sterile! But in recent years, certain fish farms have been pumping them full of hormones to reduce sterility in their batches

Chances of having a virile male are very slim. You can still enjoy watching them go through the motions though.

In my husband's tank, we see eggs the same day the suck face dance starts. In my tank, I've never seen eggs but see the suck face dance quite often.

Jesselav1233 said:
Can u post a video? I would like to see their "sexy dance" in action lol.

Lol! I should have caught it on video! But they stopped after a while. Maybe they'll do it again, but other ppl have videos on youtube i've seen.

It's not so much a dance really, as much as they look like they're going to rip each others lips off! You've heard of slam dancing? This is like slam kissing. :ROFLMAO:

LyndaB said:
It's not so much a dance really, as much as they look like they're going to rip each others lips off! You've heard of slam dancing? This is like slam kissing. :ROFLMAO:

Lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom