blood red parrot cichlid???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish-4-life

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys!!! i am new here. i really want to get a 55 gallon tank.

this is what i want:
2 dwarf gouramis
4 cory cats
5 platy
3 shrimp
2 mystery snails
1 rainbow shark
1 blood red parrot cichlid.

i know that the BP is knd of random but i love them. they r so cute. i dont care if they r "man made"

i know it will probably out grow the tank so what i want to do is: get a young one in my 55 gallon tank. when it starts to outgrow my tank, upgrade to a 75 gallon tank. and do you think my tank is over stocked? for a 55 gallon? and will my other fish be safe? Thanks

A BP will definately harrass and stress your other stocking choices. If they are small enough, will eat them if they can get a grip with their mishapen mouth.

The rainbow is also likely to not like the gentler community fish.

The rainbow and BP will likely not get along.

Individual temperments can vary in fish and some here may indeed have kept that combo without problems. However, the odds are against it.

A BP will definately harrass and stress your other stocking choices. If they are small enough, will eat them if they can get a grip with their mishapen mouth.

The rainbow is also likely to not like the gentler community fish.

The rainbow and BP will likely not get along.

Individual temperments can vary in fish and some here may indeed have kept that combo without problems. However, the odds are against it.

i guess i wont get the rainbow shark then.

i wanted to get all the fish except the BP first. when they r almost full grown, then i would get the juvenile BP. after the BP there would never be any new fish in the tank.

well this is my stocking list:
2 dwarf gouramis
5 cory cats
6 platy
3 shrimp
2 mystery snails
1 BP (all of these fish will be upgraded to a 75 gallon later on)
5 giant danios

i was thinking of gettign less platy (like only 3) and getting a yellow lab cichlid, what do you think?

oh and about the BP. i will get all of my other fish slowly by slowly. then, I will get my young BP when the rest of the fish are almost full grown. i really like yellow labs. what do you think?

i was thinking of gettign less platy (like only 3) and getting a yellow lab cichlid, what do you think?
Definitely not. A yellow lab may be considered peaceful compared to other mbuna, but it will destroy every fish in that tank. African cichlids should ONLY be kept with african cichlids (and a few choice bottom feeders). Can't comment on the others, but I've heard that blood parrots can be pretty aggressive too.

I have two tanks.

My Africans do great with my bichir and rainbow shark. You are able to mix semi-aggressive tropical fish with Africans from my experience. My other fish had no problem acclimating to the water hardness.

In my other tank my blood parrots attack everything in the tank. Within 2 minutes my parrot and Oscar got into it bad. These are very aggressive fish an shouldn't be within a community tank.

If you want aggressive fish then go all aggressive. If you want community fish then all community. If you mix them then the community fish will be torn to pieces.

what fish would do good wiht yellow labs? i would like to kee them small. like under 8 inches.

gouramis?
cory cats?

thanks

i swim said:
what fish would do good wiht yellow labs? i would like to kee them small. like under 8 inches.

gouramis?
cory cats?

thanks

I would say other african cichlids such as electric blue cichlids and zebras and most aggressive tropicals. The communities will be beaten up.

It is a very bad idea to mix Africans with other fish, plain and simple. Most of the time they require different water parameters, diets, and africans will usually kill any other fish. If you're going to get yellow labs, stick with mbuna. Just about any mbuna are compatable with each other.

It is a very bad idea to mix Africans with other fish, plain and simple. Most of the time they require different water parameters, diets, and africans will usually kill any other fish. If you're going to get yellow labs, stick with mbuna. Just about any mbuna are compatable with each other.

what species can i get with yellow labs?

what other species can go with yellow labs?
can these go with them:
blood red parrot cichlid
Angel fish
cory cats
gourami

thanks!!!

i swim said:
what other species can go with yellow labs?
can these go with them:
blood red parrot cichlid
Angel fish
cory cats
gourami

thanks!!!

The blood reds will kill them. Also my other fish adapted to the water parameters just fine.

The blood reds will kill them. Also my other fish adapted to the water parameters just fine.

that wasnt my question. asked what fish can go with yellwo labs. asdn then i asked if those other fish can with a yellow lab

The yellow labs should not be with an angel fish or a gourami or a cory cat or a blood red. Yellow labs should be with other african cichlids, mbunas as MFD stated.

I'm not sure what you're not understanding about the incompatibility and subsequent deaths you will bring on if you mix those fish.

okay okay. i only asked. no need to be so harsh. this is why i am asking questions.

i swim said:
that wasnt my question. asked what fish can go with yellwo labs. asdn then i asked if those other fish can with a yellow lab

Yes I know. The adaptation part was for rookie. I have albino red zebra cichlids, electric blue cichlids, red top cichlids, a bichir, and a red tailed shark with my labs. They are all living together great. The blood red parrots are extremely aggressive and will eventually kill your labs. Within the first 2 minutes of putting my blood red parrots in my south American tank they began to fight my JDs.

Yes I know. The adaptation part was for rookie. I have albino red zebra cichlids, electric blue cichlids, red top cichlids, a bichir, and a red tailed shark with my labs. They are all living together great. The blood red parrots are extremely aggressive and will eventually kill your labs. Within the first 2 minutes of putting my blood red parrots in my south American tank they began to fight my JDs.
I wasn't asking about adapting. I know that it is not a good idea to mix them, and will never suggest mixing africans with other fish (with the exception of choice bottom feeders). I can also tell you that I have never seen a SA/CA/NW cichlid that could hold its ground against a mbuna. Maybe a peacock, an even slimmer chance with a hap, but most certainly not a mbuna. I had 5 multis that were 3/4" long kill a 3-4" rubber lipped pleco.

To the OP, if you're looking for fish that are compatable with yellow labs, I can suggest a few, but there are literally hundreds. What I have in my 150g are :
Yellow Labs
Kenyi
Auratus
Bumblebees
Acei
Red Zebras

I also have a few peacocks and a couple haps. I've been trying to rehome them, but have been unsuccessful. My tank is big enough that I dont have any issues with territory, but I would never suggest mixing haps, peacocks, and mbuna... or any combination of the 3, in a small tank (<100g). If you'd like some more ideas, go to cichlid-forum.com and click on 'profiles' over on the left. Choose Lake Malawi, then mbuna. Just about any of those fish are compatible.

I have to disagree with the shark and BP not getting along. My mom's tank has combined the two with a few gourami's and they're perfectly fine. The BP has kind of staked out it's own spot which it lightly defends, but really isn't too bad.
All of the fish have been together for a long time and none have been really picking on each other.

I have 3 BPs with Congo tetras, Burmese Loaches & Copper Harlequins in a 450ltr tank. I've had no issues at all, the BPs were added well after the other fish & have set up their own territories. They leave the other fish well alone & if any of the other BPs enter their domain, it is gently shunted out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom