Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Blue (German) Ram w/ Gold Ram?

i have a lonely male german (blue) ram and have been unable to find a suitable (large and nice enough) female for him. i did see some really nice gold rams though. are the gold an albino version of the blues? will they get along, or even mate? also, do blue rams pair singly, or do they like to have several females to pick from? thanks a lot!

Old 09-12-2003, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I read somewhere that the gold ram is not a color found in the wild but that it was developed by breeding. I had bad luck with the two I got--they both perished within a couple of weeks. Fortunately, my Bolivians seem to be adapting much better.

Here is a link to one of the better articles I've found on rams:

http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/blue%20rams.html

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The gold color morph is a variation introduced through captive breeding; blues and golds will breed together.

Rams are one of the few dwarf species that form mating pairs. I always buy six fish and allow them to pair off naturally. This helps in keeping overzealous males from injuring, and possibly even killing, females. After a pair is formed, remove the others to a separate tank or return them to the fish shop.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gold, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com