Blue Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalesojustice

Aquarium Advice Activist
i think i know the answer, but i wanted to check.

a couple days ago i saw blue oscars at a LFS. they were a light blue with orange-ish tiger stripes. they were also younger oscars. are they, in fact, dyed? has anyone else seen this?

this LFS is notorious for selling dyed/tatooed fish including the "i love you" parrot, "striped" parrot, tatooed mollies, corys, etc. perhaps that is why i actually pass them up in favor of petsmart.

seems dyed to me. never heard of a blue oscar. you could go and ask the manager outright if that's the case.

Are you reffering to a Petland in Columbus, OH by chance? The dumb@ss that was working there had them named "blueberry" oscars. I knew they were dyed, but asked him anywy, if they were natural, just to hear his response. He told me it was a natural color variation. I simply laughed at him. Last week, they got 2 "new" baby albino oscars, one with a red "heart" on it's side, one with 3 vertical red stripes. Boggles me how stupid people can be, especially those in the business. It's just like doctors and nurses smoking....

no, this was a smaller lfs in akron, OH. they actually promote the painted fish to customers saying that "they won't lose their color." i was perplexed by the blue oscars and actually asked, to myself, why would they do that? it's all rather pointless.

it's too bad that they have the best kept tanks in town. i just don't like buying from them.

on a side note about this lfs, i guess nearly all the employees quit a month ago because the owner was being a jerk about not selling enough equipment, supplies, etc. and revenue was down. a couple days ago was the first time i was in there in a while and it was a whole new crew of workers.

Sorry, there is no such thing as a blue oscar. It's dyed just like checkerboard gouramis and blood parrots.

And every dyed fish will lose its color quickly. It's a sick practice.

I am certain that the Oscar has been dyed. Not all blood parrots are dyed. Anything other than yellow or orange/red is dyed. Most yellow and orange/red parrots are natural in coloration.

When my LFS first got in what they call "electric blue" oscars I asked the owner about them. He said that they were a new strain that had been bred artificially for that color. They are a much more expensive fish than your normal oscar variants and I've seen them sell for $50 or more.

I made a mistake above. My LFS actually got in "electric blue" Jack Dempseys, not Oscars, which they sell for $59.95 each.

Electric blue jack dempseys aren't dyed. They are just a result from selective breeding.

Back
Top Bottom