Blue Ram..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Blue Ram ( name is Mr . Blue ) .

Past couple of days I noticed his dorsal fin ( the top long fin ) and the bottom 2 fins that just hangs in front of the fish . I noticed its starting to look like a " mohawk " .

I also noticed in the past couple of days he seems to be terrorty ( spelling ) in a certin area of the tank when a black molly ( gary coleman ) or a red black tailed variutus ( pumpkinhead ) comes in the area he chases them off . Any other fish he doesnt care .

Is the fish getting sick ?

JDogg said:
sounds like a normally maturing your ram to me :D

this is to both of yall that replied ..

ive had the fish for several months and its never done this and the fins never looked like this .. i guess it was a " baby fish " when i bought it ..

are bluerams known to physically attack other fish ?? i gotta look out for the safty of the other fish ..

i know i have a bristlenose pleco in the tank ( Mr . Whiskers ) the blueram ( Mr Blue ) tried to chase it away but Mr Whiskers wouldnt take any of his foolishness...

GBR's are territorial but usually they only display aggression during spawning. They won't do any damage to other fish but they will try to protect their eggs/young at all cost (I know you only have one in the tank according to your "my info"). They aren't fin nippers and for the most part they are docile and tend to interact with their own kind. I have only occasionally noticed my rams going after other non-GBR fish but this is usually to establish new territories. Maybe try to introduce a female GBR into the tank and see if they will spawn. I would bet that he is ready to spawn. Before you said that it was a young one, that was exactly my guess. I thought it was around 5-7 months old and it is wanting a mate. That is usually why they flash their fins and display the "mohawk". Like I said, add a female to the tank. If you would like a pair to form add 2 or 3 females and take the others out once a pair has formed. Try to get females around his size and age.

bs6749 said:
GBR's are territorial but usually they only display aggression during spawning. They won't do any damage to other fish but they will try to protect their eggs/young at all cost (I know you only have one in the tank according to your "my info"). They aren't fin nippers and for the most part they are docile and tend to interact with their own kind. I have only occasionally noticed my rams going after other non-GBR fish but this is usually to establish new territories. Maybe try to introduce a female GBR into the tank and see if they will spawn. I would bet that he is ready to spawn. Before you said that it was a young one, that was exactly my guess. I thought it was around 5-7 months old and it is wanting a mate. That is usually why they flash their fins and display the "mohawk". Like I said, add a female to the tank. If you would like a pair to form add 2 or 3 females and take the others out once a pair has formed. Try to get females around his size and age.

i dunno if my blueram is male or female .. ya he/she likes to hang out in just one area for past few daze .. b4 he would be all over tank and wouldnt bother the other fish..

so u think he/she ( i dunno how to tell diff ) is ready to mate .. if thats the case how long will the fish be in " heat " ??

if i add another blueram im thinkin that would overstock my tank wouldnt it ? right now i have...

lets just say for instance the fish is pregant would i able able to see the eggs ??
2 guppies , 1 black molly , 2 cory catfish , 1 bristlenose pleco , 1 blueram , 1 red tailed black variutas , 5 pork chop rasboro 20 gal high..

oh yea 1 more thing .. then why does the fish let all of the other fish exceot for the molly and variutus to come in the area..

If you are able to post a picture of the GBR I could tell you if you have a male or female. If you have a male (which I am assuming due to the fish being so territorial) you may be over the limits if you add a female. You have a lot of bottom dwelling fish (BN pleco, 2 cory cats, and one GBR). That is a lot of fish already in the bottom of the tank and I don't know if I would add another GBR.

One reason that the GBR may be attacking mainly the molly and the varitus is that they are fish of similar size that it may feel are threatening its established territory. This is mostly show and not much will come of it. The others will learn to stay out of the GBR's way and territory. I noticed when I got mine that they would only go after one another (except after they spawned of course) but now, one male in particular seems to be peeved with my glo-lites and danios and he dashes after them once in a while LOL.

GBR's are egg-layers and they don't get "pregnant". Depending on how much you have watched your fish and your experience level you may be able to see the eggs in the belly of the female (if you have a female). Her sides will get a little on the plump side and the ovipositor (egg laying tube) will start to protrude as she gets full of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom