Blue ram cichild.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These can be tricky to keep but are so worth it!

Make sure your tank is at least 24 inches in length, the more gallons the less likely for ph and ammonia swings. I use driftwood and live plants to soften and slightly lower the ph. They need plenty of hiding places to not feel stressed caves, plants, wood etc. a substrate that has no sharp edges, their natural habitat, orinoco river is sandy.

Make sure your tank is well cycled before adding german blue rams, small spikes in nitrite or ammonia that other fish will survive rams may not. (This step may take awhile depending on method)

Acclimate slowly, acclimating mine to my tank took nearly an hour. And keep the tank light off for the next day to help them with the stress.

These can be tricky to keep but are so worth it!

Make sure your tank is at least 24 inches in length, the more gallons the less likely for ph and ammonia swings. I use driftwood and live plants to soften and slightly lower the ph. They need plenty of hiding places to not feel stressed caves, plants, wood etc. a substrate that has no sharp edges, their natural habitat, orinoco river is sandy.

Make sure your tank is well cycled before adding german blue rams, small spikes in nitrite or ammonia that other fish will survive rams may not. (This step may take awhile depending on method)

Acclimate slowly, acclimating mine to my tank took nearly an hour. And keep the tank light off for the next day to help them with the stress.

Do I need all the crazy systems like canister filter and other stuff?

Also ask if the lfs if they are hormone injected, many fish stores will inject them to be more colourful as juveniles. Makes them far less hardy.

Also ask if the lfs if they are hormone injected, many fish stores will inject them to be more colourful as juveniles. Makes them far less hardy.

How about hardness of water? Ph levels? Do I use sand or gravel? Using gravel right now.

As far as gravel or sand just make sure no sharp edges and dont use anything that will raise the ph.

Not at home to take a pic of the full tank but had this one on my phone, i have a pea sized gravel in this corner to keep the plants in place the rest is play sand. cImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398147759.393594.jpg

Not at home to take a pic of the full tank but had this one on my phone, i have a pea sized gravel in this corner to keep the plants in place the rest is play sand. cView attachment 234338

I love your fish! Do you think it will be good idea to mix gravel with sand? What are the main stuff do I have to look for to keep German blue ram happy?

I heard they breed more readily in sand, i have never bred them though to know if true.

They are not a beginner fish, if not able to do frequent water changes and regularly test their water they have been known to kick the bucket. But if you are able to put the time this pet needs into it, it is a worthwhile fish :)

They are not a beginner fish, if not able to do frequent water changes and regularly test their water they have been known to kick the bucket. But if you are able to put the time this pet needs into it, it is a worthwhile fish :)

What do I have to do to every week?

There are easier south american cichlids ...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398215896.294645.jpg bolivian ram also suitable for certain community tanks and hardier.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398215955.898011.jpg

One of my female convict cichlids.
Great fish but would only suggest 1 male and female per 2 feet of tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398216050.321786.jpg

Apistogramma nijsseni

Another dwarf cichlid

I do mine more often but smaller instead of a weekly 20% i do a daily 5 %

What do I have to do to every week?

First month i would cycle your tank and make sure it is stable. When ph and ammonia stop spiking day to day you may add fish

Weekly i do a api master test

And daily i do a 5% water change
And ammonia test.

Twice a week i vacuum the substate

Monthly i change my filter media.

First month i would cycle your tank and make sure it is stable. When ph and ammonia stop spiking day to day you may add fish

Weekly i do a api master test

And daily i do a 5% water change
And ammonia test.

Twice a week i vacuum the substate

Monthly i change my filter media.

For the master test, do you know all the perfect result for German blue ram cichlid?

Unless your fish are wild caught you have a little range on ph and hardness.

Ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ph 5-7

They are really sensitive to quick changes and nitrite

Back
Top Bottom