Blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are the opinions of having blue Rams in a rainbow setup.

Do I have to have at least two? Can you have one and it be happy?

Do they have to have a cave? I have artificial rock I can cut a hole and probably will just asking. How much space does it have to have?

If you buy a pair and they end of being the same sex, is that ok?

I want to get a plec that gets ~4 inches. Do plecs and Rams get along?

Rams should be #1 fish in any tank IMO.
Temp needs to be 80+ with 82 -85 being preferred.
A single male will have no use for a cave IMO and would be fine alone...
A pair would not need a cave but branches,caves and plants are preferred.
2 of the same sex without other distractions will be a problem IMO...
What size tank?

120 gallon have plenty of wood and branches moderate use of artificial plants. I plan to make the cave under the branch opening towards the back of the aquarium. Will they be good at a constant 77-78.

I have seen several rainbow folks that have a couple.

Do breeders garentee sex if you have to order? I would like to get 2?

There will be 12-18 rainbows, 1 plec, 6 mollies, the the two Rams then I may throw in a small school of tetra ( son wants some X-rays)

how big does a blue ram cave have to be for two and how big does the entrance need to be?

They are substrate spawners and will not spend much time if any in a cave. A nice flat sobe and a ton of plant cover would be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The temp may be a bit low ,but I can't say for sure.
Some feel the low temp is part of the frailness besides poor breeding by Asian fish farms...
Leading to shorter life or weakened immune system and more chance of health issues.
I breed rams.
Everyone who purchased from me here on this site last year got either a pair that has breed for them or the single/double sex they wanted..
I didn't miss once as I ended my year with 100% live arrival on all packages that arrived...

I agree that 77-78 is pretty low for them and IMO I wouldn't do it. Had a power outtage last winter and lost a few fish- first to die presumably from the low temperature was my ram...

That said, listen to Bandit before you listen to me (y)

Have you considered bolivian rams? Much less finicky and likes lower temps than blue rams.

Bolivians are great little fish!

Attachments

• 1452635157464.jpg
    1452635157464.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 76
Bolivians are great little fish!

I didn't know you had Bolivians now brooks

And plus one on them, I had a pair before I got my gbrs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I didn't know you had Bolivians now brooks

And plus one on them, I had a pair before I got my gbrs

Yah man, few months now. They're great.

Nice looking Rams on Black! What brand is best for sifters, Brooks?

Coral, do you have a link/vid for proper shipping of fish and plants when winter is over?
I might needs some Rams from you in July, after I move.

Coral, do you have a link/vid for proper shipping of fish and plants when winter is over?
I might needs some Rams from you in July, after I move.

I have never made a video but would think the way I pack would help a lot of people....
IMO the use of kordon breather bags is one of the most important advances and a large part of my 100% shipping success...
I pack the box as absolutely tight as possible so the bag will not shift or move even if dropped!
Then the fish is like a gyroscope in the breather bag FULL of water.
With no air the mass(water) does not move(swish around) and thus the fish are shipped with much less stress.

The holidays are over...
I will ship again now if forecast are not horrible...
This isn't rocket science,but if one doesn't pack properly then they should not expect peak performance...
Even with 100% live arrival last year I want to do better which to me just means more then last year at 100% success!:whistle:

Hmmm I still don't have Rams from you. Maybe the 120 could use a pair ;) what's you're going rate?

I can vouch... He has GBRs that are second to none. Big, healthy, and beautiful. Well worth it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom