Bolivian or German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can't make my mind up. Has anyone had both? Which is a better community fish?

I have bolivians. They are hardier than gbrs, but still, neither should be added to a new tank. As for aggression, they are still cichlids so some chasing is expected, especially during breeding. I have no experience with gbr but both will fit in nicely with community fish.

I have bolivians. They are hardier than gbrs, but still, neither should be added to a new tank. As for aggression, they are still cichlids so some chasing is expected, especially during breeding. I have no experience with gbr but both will fit in nicely with community fish.
I have a well established 29g tank with

5 balloon red eye tetras
3 peppered corys
1 emerald Cory
1 guppy
1 bristlenose pleco

So if I add either should I get 1 male 1 female or male male

I'd get GBRs. Just a prettier fish IMO although they are very similar.

I have a well established 29g tank with

5 balloon red eye tetras
3 peppered corys
1 emerald Cory
1 guppy
1 bristlenose pleco

So if I add either should I get 1 male 1 female or male male

It really depends. A blue male and female might not pair so that could mean death for the female if the male stresses her out. Two males is asking for trouble because they will battle for dominance. I think two females is the safest. Blue Rams are tough so if your tank is not perfect and I mean perfectly balanced with nitrates around 10 ppm or less they will not adapt. Ph should also be around neutral or lower. Just be aware blues can be difficult but Bolivians are hardier as mentioned

If I do Bolivians would a pair be better than solo? If so, male male or male female or female female?

I had GBRs before..I think they are better looking imo like others stated. They are also alot more hardy than some think too. You could try and get a pair..otherwise maybe just get one male or one female..and add some other fish (more guppies?) instead if you're worried about aggression at all.

I tried GBRs so many times. I tries having 2, 4, 1 in a 40b and they just keep dying or killing each other. I must have bought 8 or 10 of them and they never lasted. I then when to a pair of Bolivian rams and I've had the same pair for close to a year and a half. They are super friendly IMO and they get bigger then GBRs. Definitely give the Bolivians a shot, they are awesome fish

You could try one of each. Your tank has the room for it, and they should get along fine.

If I do Bolivians would a pair be better than solo? If so, male male or male female or female female?

I have a pair of Bolivians. I say "a pair" but they don't seem like they have quite taken to the idea of pairing up together. They have been fine with the live bearers I have. But there has been some aggression toward each other. It hasn't been over the top and, since we've had them a short time, it could very likely be the female sizing up the male with the lip locking happening. But so far the tank is relatively peaceful. If you could find a pair that we're already matched, that would probably be great, but it may be hard to do that.

30 isn't that bad. That's what it gets to by the end of the week. I get about 15 ppm of nitrates a week.

No it's not horrible but I'm shocked your blues handle that. With my plants I don't get much more than 10-15 ppm a week in my 40.

I keep both Bolivians and blue rams together one Male blue, one female blue, 2 male Bolivian rams. I would agree Bolivians are hardier and more adaptable IMO. I like both of them, But remember its YOUR tank, pick what you like. :)

Germans are a lot hardier then you think. My pH is 7.8 and my nitrates get up to 30.

I'd say one of each.

Yup, that's what I said earlier too. I have had blues live in an uncycled tank before I knew anything and they're still alive and healthy months later.

I keep both Bolivians and blue rams together one Male blue, one female blue, 2 male Bolivian rams. I would agree Bolivians are hardier and more adaptable IMO. I like both of them, But remember its YOUR tank, pick what you like. :)

I agree with getting what you want but at the same time if you are unable to meet some requirements it's not fair to the fish. Are rams impossible? No, but they deserve diligent care in consideration of their sensitivity. While this is not the experience of us all, and it is definitely a matter of where you get your stock as chain stores usually get hormone pumped fish which are more prone to failure than tank breed or wild caught. Btw 82 or higher for temp is necessary if that hasn't be mentioned yet. They can tolerate lower but it could shorten their lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom