Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bolivian ram questions

Im not sure but I think I have a male and female a Bolivian ram. I looked at the head shape to sex them. The female whom I've had for ever is extremely aggressive and territorial to other rams. She's killed 3gbr so far. If these two dont pair. I think I might get rid of her. Can you help me sex them?
female? male?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post
Im not sure but I think I have a male and female a Bolivian ram. I looked at the head shape to sex them. The female whom I've had for ever is extremely aggressive and territorial to other rams. She's killed 3gbr so far. If these two dont pair. I think I might get rid of her. Can you help me sex them?
female? male?

Can you get a picture of it from the side?? Because the best way to sex a Bolivian ram is via its vents which is located just before it's anal fin.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Male rams front top two black spines in dorsal fin are a lot taller and poss females have blue spangling in the spot on side, hope this helps
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Isn't that just gbr though?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurstorm View Post
Male rams front top two black spines in dorsal fin are a lot taller and poss females have blue spangling in the spot on side, hope this helps

Ya that's for sexing GBR.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not 100% sure i dont keep rams but two lfs told me thats how they sex there rams so just thought i would mention it
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bolivian females have more than 1 black spot, the males only have one, along with that is the female will attain a very bright pink belly when ready to spawn, the male will get rosey 'cheeks'but it won't cover his body- when these signs appear you should also be able to see their hidden reproductive characteristics... Hope that helps

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been trying to get photos to upload, but I've been running into problems. Anyway, I have two Bolivian Rams that just spawned in my tank. The best ways to tell male from female are:

The male will have the first two spines of his dorsal fin longer than the rest. It's fairly noticeable, assuming he extends his dorsal fin. If the dorsal fin is a fairly uniform length, you probably have a female. The male will also have extensions on his caudal (tail) fin. The top and bottom spines will appear much longer than the rest. The female's caudal fin spines will be slightly longer than the rest, but nowhere near that of the male 's.

I've found color is unreliable. Mine change coloration several times throughout the day, and without the items I listed above, can both appear bland or colorful, depending on mood.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestes View Post
I've been trying to get photos to upload, but I've been running into problems. Anyway, I have two Bolivian Rams that just spawned in my tank. The best ways to tell male from female are:

The male will have the first two spines of his dorsal fin longer than the rest. It's fairly noticeable, assuming he extends his dorsal fin. If the dorsal fin is a fairly uniform length, you probably have a female. The male will also have extensions on his caudal (tail) fin. The top and bottom spines will appear much longer than the rest. The female's caudal fin spines will be slightly longer than the rest, but nowhere near that of the male 's.

I've found color is unreliable. Mine change coloration several times throughout the day, and without the items I listed above, can both appear bland or colorful, depending on mood.
Good to know!! I should set up my 30g for my pair- my live bearer tank is becoming overwhelmed now that the Bolivian pair have successfully spawned 2X and are becoming ferocious, already killing 1 of my frogs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

That sounds about right.... Mine will chase off a fully grown angel, and will bow up at me if I get close to the tank.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Third picture doesn't look like a bolivian to me. More like a Microgeophagus ramirezi

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, question, questions, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com