Bolivian Ram questionss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29 gal long with fake plants java moss, some rocks, decor and 2 filters. I was thinking about adding a pair of BR's and im kinda interested in breeding them, because it doesnt sounds too hard haha :). So im going to have the 2 BR's, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 corys, 1 dwarf gourami and 2 kuhli loaches. Will i run into any problems?

I have an extra 10 gal tank so if anything i can rehome some of my other fish to that.

Hmm, I'd say if you're looking to breed them you might come across some problems with their aggression during breeding. I have a pair of BR's (although not a breeding pair) I think both male, and they get along well with my cories. Seeing that you have some bottom dwelling species such as ghost shrimp (which they might pick at) as well as loaches and cories (the rams may become territorial when breeding). They all use the same level of the tank and that might be an issue. I too, wished to breed them but ended up with two males. Turns out, that's fine with me. But if you're really serious about breeding, then yes, you may come across some problems later on.

yea I think my cories will be fine, and my loaches dont come out too much, i think i might get rid of them (if i can catch them), and i think i might move my ghost shrimp to my ten gal and just let them breed in there with some java moss.

Shouldn't be a problem, but change the Gourami for small school of Tetra, green neons would work well. You may have issues with the loach during breeding, but the Rams should be able to handle it.

What problems would the loaches cause? And I really like my gourami :( could I move it to a 10 gal? And I did want to get a school of neons again. Are u sure they won't eat any fry?

Khuli loaches tend to be nocturnal and may feed on eggs, as this happens at night the parents find it harder to defend. Gourami's can cause problems with feeding, I usually find they turn into pigs at feeding time and consume the food before many other tank mates leading to over feeding at times, they also poop alot so water quality will need extra care - I stopped keeping Gourami due to this, though they where not dwarf. With Rams you want really good water quality, especially if eggs come into play. A small spieces of Tetra will be fine, I always use Wild Green Neons as they are tiny, but make my Rams feel more secure in the spawning tank, Neon or Cardinals would also work.

Hmm okay thanks a lot. I'll try to get rid of my loaches. It's going to be really hard to get them out tho. And I guess il bring my gourami back too. Or find someone who wants it

Back
Top Bottom