Bolivian ram sexual maturity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a m/f 'pair' if you will. They haven't bred yet but I know they are m/f. I've had my male for over a year and he's pretty big. I've had the female since late summer/early fall of last year. When I got her, she was small but has grown a bit. Still noticeably smaller than my male. They tend to get along/ignore each other for the most part but the odd chase happens. They are in a 29 with: cores, kuhli loaches, ghost shrimp, a clown pleco, neons, black skirts and harlequin Rasboras. Its a peaceful tank. the male is king for sure, the female is real laid back and will follow me around the tank.

I dropped some blood worms in last night and my female Went off the handle! If any fish came in her area, she would give chase and nip at them. No damage though. It got to the point where she put the big male in his place. Now on to my question: do you think it's a breeding thing or a power shift in the tank? Could it just be a cichlid thing? This morning it was back to normal and nobody showed signs of injury nor did I find any bodies.

The tank is moderately planted, has a chunk of dw, 2 large pieces of decor and both rams have clammed different spots. I also have 2 terra cotta pots. So plenty of hidey holes for everyone.

It could of been..but if you don't see them pairing and have eggs they are guarding then it probably was just protecting it's food and being aggressive. Many cichlids are by nature, especially when it comes to food.

Back
Top Bottom