Bolivian ram w/ sore bloody anus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monlov

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted?Bolivian ram, yesterday his anus was red and swolen, today it is an open sore. one of the zebra danios has a slightly red anus but could be nothing.

2~What are your tank parameters
ammonia-0
nitrites -0
nitrates -15
temp-80
pH 7.6
3~ How large is the tank? 55 gallon How long has the tank been set up? 4 months.
4~What type of filtration are you using? two pengiun 350 biowheel hob 5~How many fish are in the tank?
2 bolivian rams, 7 zebra danios 3 black neon tetras, one molly, 2 otos, i busshy nose pleco.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? 3 days ago
How often do you do this?
once a week
How much water do you remove at a time?
15%
7~How long have you had the fish? over a month
8~Have you added anything new to the tank?
i just added several new plants.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? normal diet, flake, bloodworms and sprulina flake

i have several baby snails in this tank, could it be possible that he ate one and it wont pass? the pic isnt very good but you can see the redness and the openess of the wound.

Attachments

• img_1316_117.jpg
    img_1316_117.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 218
It's hard to tell from the picture, but are there any worm like things sticking out of it?

When was the last time he defecated? and were there any worms in that?

when i moved him to the quarantine tank, i had a better look at him and there are definety red worms sticking out of his anus. im thinking its nematodes. searching around i found a few ways to treat it but the only med i could find at the lfs was jungle parasite clear so im trying that. theres two zebra danios in my big tank that look as though they have swolen red vents but i cant catch them :x well see how the treatment goes, from what i was reading the outlook doesnt look good. i did another 15% pwc in the big tank trying to clean the gravel realy well. thanks for the response, any other ideas on things i can do will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

i dont know where u live but if you can find a lfs that sells prazi- pro. thats great to get rid of worms. i have only heard great things about it.
its by aquarium solutions. you might have to travel to a bigger place. and if u live in the states, big als sells it. but im not entirely sure it treats that kind of worms but it does treat alot of worms.
thats all the help i can offer and maybe someone will be along to advise u differently

Camallanus! Nasty lil' buggers. Resistant to lots of meds. I have had good luck with Jungle anti-parasite food. For most fish you will have to crush the pellets. Be sure to follow the full feeding regimen on the bottle. The other option is levamisole, but that is harder to find. Consider Melafix and Pimafix for the open wound.

Camallanus - the red worm. Good luck and good job on catching it.

Keep us updated.

thanks for the responses, unfortunatly he died overnight. he looked realy bad when i added the meds, almost completly white :(. a friend of a friend owns a horse stable, she called her vet for me today and he found some levamisol for me, so i will treat the whole big tank with that. also gonna try anti parasite food. whats the best way to clean out the quarantine tank to make sure i kill any parasites that may be in there? thanks again.

Chlorox (plain, no scents/etc.) and water in a 10:1 solution (10 water to 1 chlorox). Let it soak overnight, then rinse, rinse, rinse again with a heavy dose of dechlorinator. That's the usualy way to clear a tank. Parasites may change things though - never had to deal with those yet.

Most parasites will die without a host. I would empty everything and rinse the gravel and all the parts in very hot water.

Back
Top Bottom