Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will be starting up a 46 gallon planted tank soon and I was really interested in getting probably 3 or 4 rams... After much searching, I *FINALLY* found someone decent in the area to get the rams from...

I've been trying to do some research on the bolivians, but noone I know has ever had them, so Im looking for some advice. Anything you can tell me about them would be greatly appreciated.

Tank Info:

46 Gallon Bow front
40-70 Aqua Clear filter
T5 Double-Fixture for lighting
Aqueon 150 Heater
Eco-Complete substrate

Plants will be dwarf sag's, java fern, rotala,wisteria, etc.

Tank mates... Im thinking Cardinal Tetras and Harlequin Rasporas. Maybe a BN pleco.

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup for the Bolivans. Compared to their closely related cousins the German Blues, Bolivans are considered to be hardier, which is a plus. I would (if I were you) research how to sex them so you can get two mating pairs or if you get 3, you can get 2 females to 1 male. Most of the time the breeder can sex them for you unless you get them from a LFS in which IME the staff might not be as knowledable enough to select them for you, in which case your research would come in handy. Aside from that, lots of hiding places and heavy planted areas in the tank are good.

This is an easy species to keep, and a great choice for the setup you have. If you have found a local breeder, that's just going to make it that much easier for you since you'll likely get higher quality fish. I'd suggest a pair only, but you could probably make a trio work if you really wanted to. That's JMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom