Bolivian Rams do NOT mate for life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtodaJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just thought I'd share an experience.

I have 3 Bolivian Rams. Two had paired up and have had 2 spawnings. The first made it to the wiggler stage while the 2nd got to the free swimming stage.

Recently my 3rd Bolivian (a female) became sexually mature. The male waisted no time in switching mates and the new female has just laid eggs. The new pair are defending the nest from the old female and other fish.

I'm guessing that once a pair is formed amongst a sexually mature group it will last for their lives UNLESS a new Bolivian is either introduced and/or becomes sexually mature and is more appealing.

Learn something new everyday. :)

I read a book recently that you might be interested in called "The Cichlid Fishes," which includes several comparisons between cichlids in the wild and in aquarium settings. The author noted that fish that may switch mates readily in the wild are often considered "monogamous" in aquarium settings simply because they have no other choices available to them.

Sounds like your male found a better choice. ;)

That's true of so many species--fish, mammals, birds.... I took a great Animal Behavior course once--amazing stuff goes on in the animal world!!

Back
Top Bottom