Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bolivian Rams Fighting???

I got some new Bolivian Rams from my LFS (Local Fish Store). I tried picking out a male and female. So as they were in the bag they was inseparable. Well when I got done acclimating them they still said by each other, separated, and found each other and stayed by each other again. I went to bed that night and woke up to feed them. As I got done feeding them I started fighting, like charging at each other. Then they started grabbing at each others lips and fighting. Its been two days now, know more lip fighting but a little chasing after each other. From all the gender research I kind of believe that I have a male and female. Can any one tell me whats going on, I am really worried???

Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Post a picture of each one so we can confirm you have a male and female. Or if they wont stand still long enough post a video.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
Post a picture of each one so we can confirm you have a male and female. Or if they wont stand still long enough post a video.
OK give me a minute

My fish is really typing......
Old 03-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is what I think is the Female

Sent from my Z796C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426450592383.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	267400   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426450611047.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	267401  

Old 03-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is what I think is the Male

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426450700585.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	267402   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426450715713.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	267403  

Old 03-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can some one please help me

Old 03-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big the tank? What's in it? Only good way to sex bolivians is venting or behavioral observation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
How big the tank? What's in it? Only good way to sex bolivians is venting or behavioral observation.

Its a 20 gallon tall....I have 3 otocinclus, I baby angelfish, and 3 platies
Old 03-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brookster would know way better than I would.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really don't know a whole bunch about bolivians... one thing I'll throw out there.. don't take offense please.. they prefer Sandy bottoms, that unicorn puke could be totally stressing them out..

Old 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also on the stress note, are you an experienced keeper? How long established is the tank? They require pristine conditions and aren't the easiest fish to keep by far. As to the aggression there could be many factors, but first make sure you can properly maintain them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
Also on the stress note, are you an experienced keeper? How long established is the tank? They require pristine conditions and aren't the easiest fish to keep by far. As to the aggression there could be many factors, but first make sure you can properly maintain them.

Bolivians are typically much easier on water parameters than blue Rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and much hardier. Pristine water conditions is an over exaggeration and they're actually a fairly easy fish to keep, given some attention to detail

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good info gecko. I'm just getting to reading up on the rams, really want to keep some. That's great to know, I was thinking the water quality applied to those as well. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #14

Rams aren't difficult to take care of.. Just keep the temps a little higher then normal and don't let your nitrates get above 40ppm and youll be fine.

I have many types of rams in my vast tanks... I keep 1 german blue, and 3 electric blue rams with my 8 discus and 22 neons.. Temps are 84f and nitrates are usually 20 or lower..

My other rams in my 55g the temps are 80-82f and I only do a 80% water change once every maybe 2-3 weeks.. The only rams you really gatta care for more then others are the electric blue rams.

I have pretty much every type of fresh water fish you could have with my 8 fish tanks... I have 3 Beta tanks, my 30G tank is a n African cichlid tank, they aren't hard to keep.. Just get sand preferably aragonite to keep the PH high, keep the temps around 80f and plenty of hiding places.. My 44g tank is my south American cichlids.. my rams and discus.. My experience with discus is they are pretty easy to take care of as well, yea they require more water changes... but despite what people say they don't need to be at 0 nitrates... Mine have been fine in 10-30ppm nitrates.. And they don't need temps in the 86-88f range.. I found 82-84f to be a better medium..

My other tanks are just regular tetra/live bearer fish.. In fact I find Liverbearer fish like platies and mollies and guppies... To be harder to take care of then Discus, and other Cichlids...
Old 03-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
Rams aren't difficult to take care of.. Just keep the temps a little higher then normal and don't let your nitrates get above 40ppm and youll be fine.

I have many types of rams in my vast tanks... I keep 1 german blue, and 3 electric blue rams with my 8 discus and 22 neons.. Temps are 84f and nitrates are usually 20 or lower..

My other rams in my 55g the temps are 80-82f and I only do a 80% water change once every maybe 2-3 weeks.. The only rams you really gatta care for more then others are the electric blue rams.

I have pretty much every type of fresh water fish you could have with my 8 fish tanks... I have 3 Beta tanks, my 30G tank is a n African cichlid tank, they aren't hard to keep.. Just get sand preferably aragonite to keep the PH high, keep the temps around 80f and plenty of hiding places.. My 44g tank is my south American cichlids.. my rams and discus.. My experience with discus is they are pretty easy to take care of as well, yea they require more water changes... but despite what people say they don't need to be at 0 nitrates... Mine have been fine in 10-30ppm nitrates.. And they don't need temps in the 86-88f range.. I found 82-84f to be a better medium..

My other tanks are just regular tetra/live bearer fish.. In fact I find Liverbearer fish like platies and mollies and guppies... To be harder to take care of then Discus, and other Cichlids...

Bolivian Rams are quite different from german blues...they don't require the higher temps. I'd also like to not that 40ppm nitrate is very high. Nitrates really shouldn't exceed 20 ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, bolivian rams, fight, fighting, ram, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com