breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i would love to try some breeding but havent ever done so before...i have malawi cichlids or african..mine are small..about an inch long some are a tad bigger and some are a little smaller...which would be the easiest to breed? and can they breed this young?

Breeding Africans is a no brainer, just provide the correct male/ female ratio, clean water, and a good diet and you'll have fry in no time. They are a little young yet as they won't start breeding till around the 2-2.5" range. The larger they get the more fry you'll have, for the first spawn or two she will only average 12-15 fry.

Nope, keep 1 male for every 5 females for almost all mbuna, peacocks, and most tangs. If you have less females than that the males will overly harass the females possibly leading to illness or death. Thats why it's always best to buy more juvies to start the rehome when the sex is determined.

gotcha..somewhere i read the johannies needed like 13...i was like goodness...thats a whole tank...(almost)

is sexing them still based by their spots on their anal fin or has that changed? lol

Back
Top Bottom