Breeding blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amakin24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this mornig to fing out that my Blue Rams have breed! There are about 100 or babies. The parents are guarding them. One side of my 55 is off limits to all other fish. Question - I have another 28 gal Hex. Should I set that up (I'd use some of my 55 gal water to help cycle) and put the babies in there? It still would take a while for cycling wouldn't it? What should I use as a a bottom? Sand or rock?

If your parents didn't eat the eggs and haven't eaten the babies-- CONGRATULATIONS! Rams have become notorious egg eaters; it sounds like you've got rams with great parental skills.

I'd just leave things as they are. In a few days the fry will become free swimming and you'll need to supply food for them. In the meantime, they'll take care of themselves. You may want to set up the hex tank as a grow-out system, but I wouldn't worry about moving the fry for at least six weeks.

Ok, I'm a dummy! I don't know why I said blue rams! I was looking through some of the new posts and read Firemouth Chiclid. I went back to my tank and sure enough, they were my firemouths not my blue rams! How could you mistake that! Anyway the other post answers SOME of my quetions. Would you suggest the same thing about moving them in 6 weks or so?

The only thing I'd revise is the time before moving the fry. You may want to do it at four weeks (instead of six) for the simple fact they'll be much larger than blue ram fry would at that age. They should be free swimmers in a day or two (if not already) and so you'll have to make sure there is a food source for them. Otherwise, let the parents do their 'thing'. :D

Back
Top Bottom