Breeding cichilds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw two pairs of my cichilds breeding, my rusty red peackocks (about two weeks ago) and a red zebra and an electric yellow lab (two nights ago) They are only 2-3" Is it possible? How long till they release their fry if they have some. I cant see anything in there mouths but they have them open and pulsating.

Yeah its definitely possible. And they usually hold for about 3 weeks before they let them go.

Should I be able to see something? Sidenote: my red zebra has been hiding in the top back corner between the heater and the cleaning magnet, is he/she trying to isolate him/herself. I dont know which is the male or female in that relationship. I am thinking of quarantine, should I or am I over reacting.

Post pics of them. Or even a video. If you want to save the fry, i'd quarantine them, and then raise the fry to sell.

I will more than likely quarantine the fry, but this fish is being harassed and chased by everyone. I am probably going to set up qt tonight with 1/2 old water from that tank and 1/2 new water. All my fish are singling him out.

Can you post a pic or video? Is her throat large and mouth closed? And yeah its best to quarantine her after about a week or so.

S orry for the delay. I thought I sent them last night.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_115411.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_115411.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20130807_115424.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_115424.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 77
Also sorry for the bad pics. My galaxy doesn't take the bwst pics

Haha yeah i cant really tell anything from those pics lol could you get a better one of her sideways?

Please do not sell the hybrid fry, let her spit the fry in the main tanks, none will survive more than likely, which is what you want with hybrids

Please do not sell the hybrid fry, let her spit the fry in the main tanks, none will survive more than likely, which is what you want with hybrids

Agreed. Just worry about the peacocks, let the red zebra stay in the main tank.

Could I sell them as hybrids? Tell the people who I sell them to that they are a mix of red zebra and yellow lab? I thinka a yellow zebra would be a sick new breed of fish.

Could I sell them as hybrids? Tell the people who I sell them to that they are a mix of red zebra and yellow lab? I thinka a yellow zebra would be a sick new breed of fish.

No that's how it all starts! Then they keep getting passed around and someone eventually says it's a full breed to someone that doesn't want a hybrid and is going to try to bread them. Eventually they will all be hybrids and rule the world. That's not what we want.

No that's how it all starts! Then they keep getting passed around and someone eventually says it's a full breed to someone that doesn't want a hybrid and is going to try to bread them. Eventually they will all be hybrids and rule the world. That's not what we want.

Okay I dont think that my hybrid cichilds will rule the world some day and if they do I better be high on the hierarchy witn them. Lol. But I am definitely going to keep one male to myself. But what if I sold them to my lfs as hybrids. Calling them yellow zebras or red labs, both are cool names huh? But anyway, then people will know they are hybrids, and when they're fish spawn with a nother pure bred. They might label it as I have. Or do what you suggested. Nothing and let mother nature deal with it. Hybrids are everywhere, we cant demonize it. This is natural, at least im not injecting a fish with dye and then patterning it, right?

Cichlids are species. Not breeds. To create a hybrid and give it a name is ruining two species. When someone buys these, thinking they are a true species, they will breed them, and distribute the babies as a real species. You cannot underestimate the ignorance of people. Cull (destroy) the hybrids.

Try and find a 100% pure red devil or Midas cichlid, amphilophus labiatus and citrinellum, respectively. It's not an easy task due to the hybridization of the two species. Find me a real amphilophus trimaculatus, you probably won't, thanks to the "flowerhorn". This is why hybrids are hated. Don't ruin the hobby by selling hybrids please.

Cichlids are species. Not breeds. To create a hybrid and give it a name is ruining two species. When someone buys these, thinking they are a true species, they will breed them, and distribute the babies as a real species. You cannot underestimate the ignorance of people. Cull (destroy) the hybrids.

Try and find a 100% pure red devil or Midas cichlid, amphilophus labiatus and citrinellum, respectively. It's not an easy task due to the hybridization of the two species. Find me a real amphilophus trimaculatus, you probably won't, thanks to the "flowerhorn". This is why hybrids are hated. Don't ruin the hobby by selling hybrids please.

I see what your saying, and I wont sell the hybrids. But... the red devil, the Midas and all other true species fish did not just disappear over night. It probably took decades. Im not saying its okay. But to be honest, as sad as it is. The aquarium industry is not looking for the fishes best interest, its for the people's. Thats how the blood parrot came into effect. I believe its wrong, but non of us can do much of anything to stop it. I wish we could but we can't.

Okay I dont think that my hybrid cichilds will rule the world some day and if they do I better be high on the hierarchy witn them. Lol. But I am definitely going to keep one male to myself. But what if I sold them to my lfs as hybrids. Calling them yellow zebras or red labs, both are cool names huh? But anyway, then people will know they are hybrids, and when they're fish spawn with a nother pure bred. They might label it as I have. Or do what you suggested. Nothing and let mother nature deal with it. Hybrids are everywhere, we cant demonize it. This is natural, at least im not injecting a fish with dye and then patterning it, right?

Its not "natural" its far from "natural". Just do not sell them.

Dubs1281 said:

Grade A trolling. I'm not biting.

I see what your saying, and I wont sell the hybrids. But... the red devil, the Midas and all other true species fish did not just disappear over night. It probably took decades. Im not saying its okay. But to be honest, as sad as it is. The aquarium industry is not looking for the fishes best interest, its for the people's. Thats how the blood parrot came into effect. I believe its wrong, but non of us can do much of anything to stop it. I wish we could but we can't.

There is plenty we can do to stop this. Protest the sale of hybrids, or simply enough, don't buy them. If the demand is there, they will continue to exist. By buying true species from reputable sources, and breeding these pure species, the hobby could see these species starting to return to the trade, but not when you have people buying or creating hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom