Breeding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's exactly what I've been saying you've just been miss interpreting what I've been saying. That's why I suggested what I did. If it's uncommon/rare/ new/ WC serious fish people will appreciate the fish for what they are and will want to buy some at almost any price (with in reason) wether by appointment or online.

That being said when all you focus on is making money from the fish IMO you loose what the hobby is really about and it will become allot less enjoyable.

Agreed its not about the money...ask us why. Cause there is no money in it lol

Ahhhh. Ok. I see what you guys are getting at :) thanks for all of your input. After reading all of your posts I totally get it now. I still have no idea exactly what kind of fish I want to breed, but I will look into some of the more hard to find ones. I just need to find some that I like and will have lots of room in a 55 gallon

Here's a good place to start!

http://www.carespreservation.com/priority_list.html

Not only will you be getting some amazing fish that you can sell but also doing your part in the conservation of threatened/endangered fish.

That's exactly what I've been saying you've just been miss interpreting what I've been saying. That's why I suggested what I did. If it's uncommon/rare/ new/ WC serious fish people will appreciate the fish for what they are and will want to buy some at almost any price (with in reason) wether by appointment or online.

That being said when all you focus on is making money from the fish IMO you loose what the hobby is really about and it will become allot less enjoyable.

That's what I understood from your posts :) as I said, my main focus isn't making a huge profit. I don't want to start a big aquarium store or business or anything (although that might be a cool idea for the future ;)) for now my goal is to be able to support the hobby :)

Agreed its not about the money...ask us why. Cause there is no money in it lol

Lol nope! I don't even want to know how much $$ I've spent on rare wild type livebearers because I know I'll never get it back. What I do get back is knowing ill be doing my part in preserving these fish for future aquarists like my son.

I looked at it briefly... All I got was that they encourage people to use tank space for fish species at risk

Oh ok. Lol :p
That's a lot of species! Wish they had pics

Yeah I've seen that before. I found it really helpful actually :)

I breed lots of mbuna and peacocks and sell them to my lfs. I grow them out to an inch and they give me 2-3$ per fry. Im pretty happy with it, especially when i have a couple hundred fry. It makes for a good payday. Good luck with your breeding when u decide what you want to breed. Its a blast breeding fish, at least for me.

I just checked out that cares preservation link and found out my cichlids are considered an endangered species O.O what do I do with that? Feeling a lot of pressure now as a fish parent lol

I just checked out that cares preservation link and found out my cichlids are considered an endangered species O.O what do I do with that? Feeling a lot of pressure now as a fish parent lol

I guess you should keep them alive..lol

You have to separate out all the males once they start to sexually mature other wise they will kill each other. At one point I have 30 containers scattered across my room that I had to do water changes on every other day.

You stopped just because of that? Lol seriously though, you could just use a few bigger tanks with dividers or another kind of barrier (sort of like a breeding box for livebearers, but bigger) to keep the males and any aggressive females separated :)

You stopped just because of that? Lol seriously though, you could just use a few bigger tanks with dividers or another kind of barrier (sort of like a breeding box for livebearers, but bigger) to keep the males and any aggressive females separated :)

I was in school at the time so it was a pretty big hassle. Also getting them to breed with out the male tearing up the female was a challenge.

Yeah I guess that would be hard... I've never done it so I don't know. lol but I DO want to try! :D

Back
Top Bottom