Breeding fish for feeders.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like feeders since there's little nutritional value and it promotes aggression but if your going to choose a fish my choice would be convicts.

HUKIT said:
I don't like feeders since there's little nutritional value and it promotes aggression but if your going to choose a fish my choice would be convicts.

I was thinking convicts to I would only do the feeders as a treat of every two spawns or so and I would sell the rest for 1.00 a piece on craigslist :) or just be a breeder for my lfs. Not many convicts in Maine lol.

I'd use cutteri or HRP's instead of convicts. You can keep 2 breeding pairs in a 30.

I breed HRP's and can tell that you'll see more fry from one pair of cons over three pairs of Red Points, and as far as aggression the difference is minimal. That and theres no way one pair won't injur or kill the other when guarding fry, my pair will corner my 14" oscars when guarding fry(I don't think think they realize they could be swallowed at any second).

Last edited:
Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
Convicts are semi-rare were I live. I don't think I'd be able to find HRPs. I'm not quite comfortable with ordering fish online yet.

It's very easy :) how do you think most fish get to the stores?

Last edited:
I breed HRP's and can tell that you'll see more fry from one pair of cons over three pairs of Red Points, and as far as aggression the difference is minimal. That and theres no way one pair won't injur or kill the other when guarding fry, my pair will corner my 14" oscars when guarding fry(I don't think think they realize they could be swallowed at any second).
Odd, I had 3 pairs of HRP's in a 30L. There were 2 pairs spawning at the same time, but no aggression between any of them. They ate their eggs before they hatched a couple times, then I sold them off to make room for other fish, so I never did see how many fry they produced.
I'm not quite comfortable with ordering fish online yet.
Aquabid is a great place to find good prices on a wide variety of fish. Cichlids usually ship very well, just check the seller's feedback the same way you would on e-bay.

Odd, I had 3 pairs of HRP's in a 30L. There were 2 pairs spawning at the same time, but no aggression between any of them. They ate their eggs before they hatched a couple times, then I sold them off to make room for other fish, so I never did see how many fry they produced

I had two pairs in a 150g and they were attacking each other, but with everyone else they just chased them away. The convicts will have around 150+ but the HRP's average around 30-40 per spawn.

Back
Top Bottom