Breeding German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themanofsilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. It's been a while since I have had the time to post but now I'm back and I have questions. I now have a 20gal and 10gal. Both are fully stocked and in short order I may have to upgrade again if the Bala shark continues to grow at his current rate. Either way, I have 4 German Blue Rams, 2 young and 2 are alittle older. I was curious about breeding them. They are beautiful but I cannot tell their sex and I'm not very sure about their breeding patterns/seasons. Can someone please give me a small "report" of info post about Rams and how to possibly instigate breeding? What needs to be done to make them comfortable? Thanks much!

Aaron[/i]

Blue rams can be sexed by looking at the black spot on their sides the males will have no blue spots at all females do also the second and third dorsal rays will be considerally longer than females and third mostr females will have a redish coloring in belly it will be more pronounced as they mature now as to breeding this link might help it sure helped me got 2 sucessful spawns after they ate first two so hear it is http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/breeding/bluerambreeding.html Sincerely Curtis

The blue spots on mine are actually on top of the one black spot. The blue spots almost appear to be irredescent.

Thats the way mine is sort of in the border of the black dot and her belly is red Have you looked at my pics the link is in my sig fram pics and 26jpg are my female also pics ofmy male Sincerely Curtis

Is it true that the females are less colorful? I noticed that a couple I have are red-eyed and the other two are regular white-eyed. They also have plain bodies and no dorsal spike. Let me know.

re to post

themanofsilver said:
Is it true that the females are less colorful? I noticed that a couple I have are red-eyed and the other two are regular white-eyed. They also have plain bodies and no dorsal spike. Let me know.
:lol: Hi Aaron I really dont know since I have only ever had one pr I haven't even had any experience in the so called rams are sensitive statements because mine have proven all that wrong guess I got lucky thank Poseidon for that. lol sorry I can't help with question. Sincerely Curtis :?

My female ram has lots of colour and red eyed. They just don't have the long(er) spikes on the dorsal fin. Their pelvic fins are also more rounded rather than pointed. Mine has blue spots on the Black spot on the back and bordering it as well.

Re: re to post

mematrix said:
themanofsilver said:
:lol: Hi Aaron I really dont know since I have only ever had one pr I haven't even had any experience in the so called rams are sensitive statements because mine have proven all that wrong guess I got lucky thank Poseidon for that. lol sorry I can't help with question. Sincerely Curtis :?
:D Hi Aaron well my rams spawned again 5th time I really must be doing somthing right I got some awsome pics an some Mpegs this time posted 4 pics in my album on this forum going to try and find out how to post Mpegs they're real cool take it easy Sincerely Curtis

I don't remember where I got this so I can't credit it but here we go:
"the males are larger and have a black spot on the flanks. If you look at that spot in the sun or with a flashlight you will notice that the black spot is void of the metallic blue scales that cover the rest of the sides of the fish. Females are smaller and may have a reddish hue to the belly area. If you look at the black spot on a females side then you will notice that there are a few highlighted blue to purplish scales on that black spot. When they pair up they usually lay their eggs out in the open on a rock or on the glass and chase all the other fish away."

In general, though:
Peat, Driftwood, pH around 6, live feedings, and v. soft water can induce spawning.

oh yeah- also schools (6 or more) of dither fish (small tetras or small barbs) relax the rams so they feel it's safe to breed. It says in my last post that they lay eggs in the open but I have seen then lay in small "caves" as well so hiding spaces are a plus. AND, a bigger than normal water change, especially if it's "late", can induce spawning. Please keep us updated of your success with this and what seemed to work!

how often do rams lay eggs? can they go without laying eggs for an extended period of time or are they like mollys who will give birth monthly like clockwork?

Mine just spawned and instead of the nice peice of flat slate, the chose an area in the back of the tank that is densly planted and the eggs are on the gravel. I think they just choose a spot they think they can defend most easiest (especially if there are other fish in the tank)

Back
Top Bottom