Breeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know if a chiwindi male peacock and regal female peacock can breed? I was under the assumption that all peacock's could cross breed.

It's probably possible for all Aulonocara to crossbreed, but they typically won't unless there aren't any mates of their own species available. Peacock is a generic term that covers a number of different fish, not all are compatible.

They absolutely can and will cross breed. They are the same species pretty much.
Regal is an Aulonocara stuartgranti mebenji
And the chiwindi is a Aulonocara stuartgranti chiwindi.
Usually cross breeding happens between fish that look similar, but in this case a stuartgranti female is a stuartgranti female. Not a lot of color going on. So I would say definitely yes the could breed.

The "Mebenji" and the "Chiwindi" are the common names of their region in lake malawi I believe. This also includes "ngara" "maleri" "Chilumba" "Chitumba bay"

Different colors, different regions, but all technically Aulonocara stuartgranti.

The name following the species name is the collection point, so yeah, those are where they were collected at

Back
Top Bottom