Breeding suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm in the process of putting together a 40G Breeder to breed cichlids but i'm not sure what kind i want to breed.

i'm still in the process of aquiring pieces for the tank so it may be a few more weeks/months(budget depending).

but i wanted to check with everyone here before i set my heart on a specific cichlid. i've been looking at GBR for the longest time but then i've also heard that Black Convicts are also very easy to breed.

that being said i need some help with the decision since i'm not sure which one i want. i already have a plan i'm working for the tank setup itself.

but my main question is: GBR or Black Convict?

also if anyone knows of pors/cons for either fish? or possibly do's/don'ts with either fish?

this would be very very helpful. thanks in advance :)

(and for those who have already seen enough of my breeder tank questions... i apologize :) lol)

Convic is a nice fish. And yes easy to breed. Than if you want to breed them you should take a pair. Hard to sex when juveniles. The bigger convic the male is bigger than female.female has orange collar on her body and tail fin. Keep them alone in the tank when they start to breed they or very protective over there fry and eggs. And. If you have other cichlids with them they wil beat them up. So advice to keep them alone. I had my first spawn with convic,s but my other fish were stressed out. Because they got pushed in the corner of the tank. Left. En right side.

I'm a noob so I can't give advice...but if I could I would!

I agree with only having that one pair and thats part of the game plain... I was planing on buying several and letting them pair on their own then moving the ones who didnt pair to another tank..

Out of curiosity do you know what the convict's max size is? Ive read different sites and from what I've read it seems to differ/range between 5-7 inches

As far as I can tell by my LFS, don't pick somethin that's really easy to breed. I'm not saying go and pick something hard, but pick something that isn't really easy to do since it you plan to sell then you'll probably be the only one, or one of only a few people breeding that particular thing. Like finding a niche in the market. Like I plan to try and breed Neon Terra in a few months since they are always in SUPER HIGH DEMAND at my LFS. So that's my suggestion.

thats a good point, thats why i was trying to figure out if i should do GBR or Convicts... i only have three places near me, petsmart, petco and a true LFS called Pristine Aquariums. petsmart and pristine carry both GBR and Convicts and petco doesn't carry either(at least the one by me doesn't) but they don't get many in stock and when they do they're gone in a day or two tops... so maybe i could work something out with them...

true, which in all cases would be the GBR but i hear they are very sensitive and need a tank thats been running for at least 6 months... which tends to make things harder lol

They say the same of neons. But I've kept them perfectly healthy in newly cycled tanks. I would NOT even think of fish-in cycling them though, but I think they'd be just fine if params are stable, and nitrates are low. I totally disagree with "X fish can only be in a tank that's been running for X amount of months" comments.

well i've had an experience with Tiger Barbs which are supposedly very hardy but died very quickly during the fish-in cycle... so i'm cautious now about when i add what...

but i was already planning on a strong fish-less cycle for the breeding tank.

Back
Top Bottom