Breeding Tiger Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbreeder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got 2 oscar fish last week and they're always together (Cuddling). They're about 2 inches now and I'm wondering if there by any chance there's a sign of male or female? I'm looking to buy more oscar to have a better chance to have a pair and they are in a 75 gallon tank (long)

I recently got 2 oscar fish last week and they're always together (Cuddling). They're about 2 inches now and I'm wondering if there by any chance there's a sign of male or female? I'm looking to buy more oscar to have a better chance to have a pair and they are in a 75 gallon tank (long)

2 would be a Definite max for a 75g

At that size they're simply showing that behavior to feel secure, just like schools of small fish where there is safety in numbers. Astronotus ocellatus are monomorphic which means there is no physical differences from male to female, you'll know how to sex them when you watch one lay eggs and the other fertilizes them. They also don't reach sexual maturity until 12-18 months, so at that size the thought hasn't even crossed their little brains yet.

Back
Top Bottom