brichardi cichlids, species only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon tank with lots of rocks and hiding places. Originally I got 2 brichardi cichlids. Shortly after getting them there were lots of babies. About a year later one of the original parents and two of the juveniles are alive. Can I put other fish in here? More brichardi cichlids? I take good care of them (all the babies but 3 died shortly after hatching) and they have lots of room so I'm wondering if I can add to the tank. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

So i did some quick research...

As far as i found your going to want ALOT of rocks to break up the site of one another. But really what i found is that they shouldnt be with other fish and that even with their own species they can be aggressive, especially after pairing off. I havent ever dealt with these fish but if you do a quick google of "brichardi cichlid tank mates" then you should find some info.

I inherited a 75 gal mixed tank about 2 months ago. There are about ten 4-8 inch cichlids (red zebra, Johanna, demosani, etc) as well as a colony of about 20+ brichardi. The big guys all defend against each other and the brichardi do their own thing. The smallest ones stay by the Texas holey rock while the 3-4 inch brichardi swim pretty free. This works because of the size of the tank I believe. The big fish don't see the brichardi as a threat because they are small in comparison. In a 30 gallon though, you can't have 8 inch cichlids. My advice, in a 30 gallon, stick to species only and let them breed. They should breed real easy and their filaments should be nice and bright. If they aren't breeding, watch your eater parameters because unless something is wrong, there should be fry.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131221_204808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131221_204808.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom