brichardi / princess cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone every had these ?

I just got 9 juvinelis ( about 2 cm ) in my 40 gallon tank

Would love to chat to anyone that has or had these :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ya, I had a closely related species once. Started 3 of them in a 55 with other Africans, then moved them into a 40 of their own because after the 2nd spawn they controlled 3/4 of the 55. They kept spawning in the 40, became too overcrowded, and the smaller fry were becoming stunted. I sold the first couple (good) broods after they grew to a fair size and the rest went into the piranha tank at the lfs for disposal.

Ahkkk so you had no luck breeding them with thank mates ?

Was curious to what I could add with them , but looks like I might have to leave them by themselves !

Ya, species tank unless you have enough catfish to eat the fry. As the fry grow their territory expands, will take over whole tank, other fish will be killed outright or stressed to death more slowly.

Ahkkk no worries will keep it a species only tank !

What did you feed yours just normal cichlid food ?

Synodontis catfish are generally able to withstand the abuse rift lake cichlids can put out. Synodontis petricola and luccipinnis are both small, attractive, and active species that would go well with brichardi. Just expect some fry to disappear, which isn't a bad thing in a smaller tank

Synodontis catfish are generally able to withstand the abuse rift lake cichlids can put out. Synodontis petricola and luccipinnis are both small, attractive, and active species that would go well with brichardi. Just expect some fry to disappear, which isn't a bad thing in a smaller tank

Synodontis are really expensive where I am , and very hard to find (about 200 each )

Is there any other possible group of tank mates even ? The brichardi don't go any where but the bottom third of the tank , would it be possible to put a middle to top fish in with them ?

Back
Top Bottom