Bristlenose pleco with African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 90 gallon African cichlid tank, which also has a rainbow shark and a feather fin catfish. Someone nearby is rehoming several bristlenose plecos. I remember reading about a bottom feeder that is better alone and not in groups but I forget if it was the BNP.

The price is great but I wanted to see if I should just get 1, or if 3-4 would be better.

I have one bristle nose about 2inch in my African tank with a 9in common and a 3in royal Pleco. all of them get along well.

I had a albino bristlenose pleco it lasted 5 months before it got tore up by my Africans. My other one I still have but I gave him to my friend a couple days ago. I would try it.

From what ive seen the bristle nose is one of the more
Common plecos to be kepts with african cichlids.. For a 90gal id say get one or 2.

jetajockey said:
I'm not following your logic.

Lol, im not either. To the op, ive had 2 in my 75 mbuna tank for about 16 months w no problems. They dont really pay attention to the pleco, but my mbuna are relatively mild mannered.

CraigMac said:
Have a 90 gallon African cichlid tank, which also has a rainbow shark and a feather fin catfish. Someone nearby is rehoming several bristlenose plecos. I remember reading about a bottom feeder that is better alone and not in groups but I forget if it was the BNP.

The price is great but I wanted to see if I should just get 1, or if 3-4 would be better.

I'd be more worried about the Rainbow Shark than a new BNP. I has a Rainbow Shark for months with my mbuna until they killed it with no warning.

Back
Top Bottom