Broke my canopy for my African tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I finally did it. Was doing a pwc and got lazy, said I know it's there and crack!! I stepped on it! :(

I know we were talking in a thread about top on top off but will my fish be ok? I have the one side covered the other isn't.

Spend the 30-50 to buy a new canopy or keep that money and buy something for myself?

Am I gonna find my cuckoo on the floor or any of my Africans for that matter?

I'll save the money and time calling around looking for a canopy. We remember what I went through last time. Went through like 4 different kinds before finding the right one. At least now I know. Aqueon versa fit.

garfy said:
How far from the water to the top of the tank?

About an inch and a half. I have to go to work soon. Should I take some water out. Hopefully can get one today.

Although possible a fish could jump out I think it's unlikely as your fish are still juvies.
Having said that lowering the water a little will obviously reduce any chance of a jumper.

garfy said:
Although possible a fish could jump out I think it's unlikely as your fish are still juvies.
Having said that lowering the water a little will obviously reduce any chance of a jumper.

Ok gonna do that. I should be able to grab one today hopefully.

It may be a sign. I was thinking about going topless. Still can't believe I stepped on it. (shaking head)

EDIT:

My friend is making me a hood out of pine. Gonna stain it same color as stand and forget the glass canopy. With the hood it will be higher and less likely for fish to jump. At least I'm hoping. He's gonna build it today. Said it will take him no time. It's gonna be an open hood. It's just gonna go around the perimeter and have a lip to rest on the tank with a center brace to go with the center brace of the tank. Stain it and done!

Last edited:
watch out for evaporation warping the wood. make sure he uses some outdoor waterproofing stain!

NyteGTI said:
watch out for evaporation warping the wood. make sure he uses some outdoor waterproofing stain!

Thanks NY John had them so I just ran over there and picked up another glass canopy. No charge ;)

yea glass canopy is def a good idea. make sure your buddy builds in a feeding flap :)

Yeah same tank I've had up and running for about 2 weeks. Upgraded from a 55. I have a nice album in my profile.

EDIT:

I just ordered the matching pine hood that goes with the stand. Should be here Friday.

Back
Top Bottom