Brown algea and murky water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hart62

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g cichlid tank I've had up and running for about 8 months now. I have about 25 various cichlids in it mostly african with 3 bachardi. Two questions I would like advice on. I am in a constant battle with brown algea. We do a 10% water change weekly and all the parameters are good. we have two Emperor HOB filters (one double and one single) and have changed the filters just a week ago. We have reduced feedings and amount of light time. What can I add to help get rid of the brown algea or at least keep it tolerable? We haven't added anything new to the tank in quite a while. Also what can we do about the murky or hazy water? It isn't bad but it when from being crystal clear to hazy in the last month or so and I haven't been able to get it clear again. We use RO water instead of tap water. Help/Advice please.:banghead:

I would do a lot more than 10% water changes, and especially now, I recommended 25% - 50% weekly and maybe every other day till your water clears up

You reduced light time. How much light are you still allowing? I recommend 6-7 hrs daily max. Have you added any aquarium salt?

Measure your Nitrates after your water change. Guarantee that a 10% PWC is not enough. Do enough of a water change to keep Nitrates between 25 and 60 ppm. With a bioload like yours, large water changes are necessary.

Uncontrolled algal growth is caused by too much light (time, intensity) and/ or high nitrates. Once you get Nitrates under control your algae will follow.

Measure your Nitrates after your water change. Guarantee that a 10% PWC is not enough. Do enough of a water change to keep Nitrates between 25 and 60 ppm. With a bioload like yours, large water changes are necessary.

Uncontrolled algal growth is caused by too much light (time, intensity) and/ or high nitrates. Once you get Nitrates under control your algae will follow.

+1 I'm pretty sure I read somewhere brown algae is caused by over feeding. Obviously the amount of light is another cause.

I would do a lot more than 10% water changes, and especially now, I recommended 25% - 50% weekly and maybe every other day till your water clears up

I use to do larger water changes but I always had issues loosing fish when I did so I do smaller water changes weekly now and I haven't been loosing any fish. The murky/cloudiness just started in the last month.

Is there any direct sunlight on the tank?? That happened to me and i had to move the tank.

This tank has been in the same spot for 9 years. It is between two windows so yes it does get a lot of sunlight even though the blinds are kept closed. I don't run the lights during the day because of that and they are only on a limited time in the evenings. Don't really have a place to move it to. I would use snails and hermits but I think the Cichlids would kill them.

You reduced light time. How much light are you still allowing? I recommend 6-7 hrs daily max. Have you added any aquarium salt?

I run them about 3-4 hours in the evening. I add cichlid lake salt when I do water changes to keep the ph up. Should I be adding something different?

All of my levels, nitrates, nitrites, amonia, ph have been reading good. I even take it to a lfs to double check my readings. I'm not sure if its the amount of light or if I need to cut back feeding even further.

+1 I'm pretty sure I read somewhere brown algae is caused by over feeding. Obviously the amount of light is another cause.

I'm beginning to think that may be part of the cause because my perimeter readings are all good. I was told that adding a powerhead would help. Not sure if it would make much difference.

What are your Nitrate levels? It is tricky to read Nitrates requiring vigorous shaking of one of the two bottles. With 25 cichlids and 10% weekly water changes, your nitrates should be very high, thus causing your problems.

I took a water sample in to be tested and the nitrates are up slightly but not much. Guess I will try a larger water change. I seem to loose fish everytime I do one larger than 10% though

How are doing your water changes? Do you have a Python or Aqueon Water changer? I also have a 55 gal and it make PWC so easy. I merely add enough Prime for the volume of the PWC and add the water from the tap. Make sure your water temp or pH doesn't fluctuate too much.

I have never lost a fish to date.

Also, make sure you only rinse your filter media in conditioned water. Never change it entirely out or you'll get a mini cycle; I.e ammonia

I use RO water. I stopped using tap water. And I pump the water out then put the new in and add my buffers as needed

Back
Top Bottom