Bubba643 180 gallon freshwater planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got 2 of the three lights hung still need to tweek angle on one a bit. Going to hang the middle on a separate smaller pvc a few inches out to account for bow. My wife is going to want me to make this look "wooden" at some point I'll hit @brookster and the rest of you carpenters up for that a few months from now.

Ps disregard the decor most of that is for seeding bacteria right now.

View attachment 297025

As for doing a wooden look, is your wife wanting actual wood? Or is she willing to settle down for "fake wood" of some sort that would be easier for you to wrap the stand up with due to it being a bow-front..

I'm sure if I can make it look clean fake wood should pass. Was thinking a hanging box wrap for the top maybe.

Not sure at this point, probably a nice real wood stand but bending wood is a pain

Last edited by a moderator:
Bending 1/4" ply is easy. Making the doors and affixing wood to a metal stand could be a challenge if you don't have to right tools.

Bending 1/4" ply is easy. Making the doors and affixing wood to a metal stand could be a challenge if you don't have to right tools.
Can do but runs the risk of cracking over time unless you're willing to stain/finish to seal it up,I'm not saying it wouldn't work no it would! Just feel like you're wanting to go as simple as bolt on and DONE! You can put 3 panels cut to size and screw them in for the front part and 1 on each side & leave the back open unless you're wanting the sleek curved wood then what brookster said ^^^ is the way to go, I wonder if they have "plastic" or "composted" boards that are thin enough to bend?? Since they already come in different colors

Can do but runs the risk of cracking over time unless you're willing to stain/finish to seal it up,I'm not saying it wouldn't work no it would! Just feel like you're wanting to go as simple as bolt on and DONE! You can put 3 panels cut to size and screw them in for the front part and 1 on each side & leave the back open unless you're wanting the sleek curved wood then what brookster said ^^^ is the way to go, I wonder if they have "plastic" or "composted" boards that are thin enough to bend?? Since they already come in different colors

You'd have to seal it either way..have to bend it.. can't make the upper half of a stop sign look good on a radius..

Last edited:
Would you want to do all of the staining and sealing inside the house? Unless he decides to build a whole wooden frame around it then take it else where to stain n seal it due to the fumes?

Nothing to argue about, two ways to do it.. My way or the wrong way...
:lol:
And that is the help any craftsman /carpenter would give you...
Doesn't everyone have a shop or basement?:dance:
You have seal indoors or risk crappy finish from dust?:whistle:Open windows just blow crap around . Well so I have been told...:nono:
Not being the 'smartest' person who plays with water and electricity at the same time ,I would not let 'fumes' stop me from n awesome build...:blink:
When I smoked cigs I used to tell people " they say to filter your breathing" while I took the largest drag I humanly could ! Sometimes I still miss smoking...

You can always do the stain outside and used a water based finish, take 12 coats to look shiny but it dries in 20 minutes and has virtually no odor/fumes. It's a focal point in the room, it should look spectacular.

You can always do the stain outside and used a water based finish, take 12 coats to look shiny but it dries in 20 minutes and has virtually no odor/fumes. It's a focal point in the room, it should look spectacular.

Agreed, I like the wood wrap idea. Could I zip tie 1"by2" to the metal frame to give me my wood frame for 1/4 board wrap? Then I could cut doors build out from that and stain once built?

You could I suppose, drilling 2 holes and screwing from metal to wood would be ideal.

Man Brookster you make me laugh at least twice a day on here "my way or wrong way" Good stuff. I'm not opposed to staining either outside or inside really. I've got two windows and a big floor fan for work in living room. As long as I clean up daily my wife is cool with the on going work. As for the fumes, I'm with coralB, I'm a "throw caution(and sometimes my health)to the wind" guy, at least if it's for something that's worth it.

Alrighty down to earth and don't give a [edit: hoot], the results are absolutely worth it! Same here and egoism isn't a desirable vibe brookster it made me laugh yes because we all think that way about our own methods but hey isn't that what this forums all about?! There's no such thing as "must be done this way, no other way is acceptable", as for the board another option would be sellf tapping metal screws

Than you'd have screws coming through the back where as screwing from back of metal into wood would not expose any screws. I don't have an ego, I have years of trial and error. I suggest my methods which I've proven. There are other methods out there I simply chose mine;)

Alrighty down to earth and don't give a [hoot] the results are absolutely worth it! Same here and egoism isn't a desirable vibe brookster it made me laugh yes because we all think that way about our own methods but hey isn't that what this forums all about?! There's no such thing as "must be done this way, no other way is acceptable", as for the board another option would be sellf tapping metal screws

Brooksters good people, he's just direct with some humor built in on the side. What's that saying "he's not cocky, he's convinced" lol

Ok sorry back to the task at hand. What about a movable facade option. I've seen them do that on Tanked to hide their usual metal stands. I like the support of the metal but the look of nice stained furniture. I should have room in front to pull it out for access. Maybe attach a few magnets to the connection points to secure it idk. Just spitballing

The metal frame posts are 2"x2" so metal self tap would work as long as they weren't to long. I guess I need to decide on facade or traditional cabinet doors to access. I think if I go doors I definitely want to secure permanently to metal frame.

The wrap with magnets would be pretty nifty. Just pull the whole deal for access. Yes from me!

Back
Top Bottom