bullies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my fish, especially "general blue" seem to be ganging up on my sunshine, he might be the red jake idk, anyway at times they seem to be in a group, looking for him w big blue meanie out in front, what should I do. mHe seems really stressed. I don't have a qt tank, should I get one before too late? I made more hiding places after water change today. Blue just chases em all out of all of em..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130622_175605.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_175605.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 101
  • ForumRunner_20130622_175618.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_175618.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20130622_175639.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_175639.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 89
he's been hanging toward the top or chilling on a rock sometimes. I'm afraid he's sick n that's why they're messing with him. Yesterday was bad, like full on mouth fighting n flipping around =(

he seems to be swimming ok though.. he just can't come down without anyone chasing him, he keeps trying

You should buy a marina hang on breeding box for the bully... just keep him in there for a whole day to get that dominant mentality out of his head

ty, sounds like that's worth a shot, blue has this big set up in the corner, I made a smaller one n he won't let anyone in that one either. They're doing it again as I post gangin up on him. My red empress is slightly bigger than some of my guys that have started to color, such as the hiding sunshine. If it's female could that be part of my prob? (Empress has black marking head to tail)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130622_182533.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_182533.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20130622_182559.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_182559.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20130622_182626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_182626.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 82
I meant to say it's bigger than some that started to color n has no color,
It also seems anal fin might be slightly rounded

the bully is one of the biggest too around 3 in. I think, but I was referring to one of the bigger haps not showing color yet, thought maybe it could be female which might cause more fighting, but I heard it takes haps a little longer to color up so idk anyway, they are african. I have 2 haps, 5 peacocks and a yellow lab (mbuna) I am going to rearrange the whole tank here in a few. We also picked up a 10 gallon, time out tank =) to start cycling

A 10 gallon is probably to much... I use a marina breeding box... the large size as a time out tank.. go on Amazon and check then out, they are about $13... do you know how the box works ? It cycles itself with the same water as the tank that it is hanging on..

It's super easy.. it comes with everything you need... the air pump you have in your aquarium pushes water in the left side if the box and the overflow comes out of the right.. go on YouTube and look at reviews

It's super easy.. it comes with everything you need... the air pump you have in your aquarium pushes water in the left side if the box and the overflow comes out of the right.. go on YouTube and look at reviews

I am definitely looking for that next time I go to the store.

me too, for now, I've rearranged, I've got little cichlid hotel rooms. In a few it's lights out, and they'll be too busy checking out the new places to hassle my little guy, hopefully

forgot the pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130623_012726.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130623_012726.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 73
You might want to look into adding some more rock work. The more the better if there are so many spots to get too no one can severely bully the other. Putting the bully in time out can work but its 50/50 IME. Otherwise it's time to look for a new home. What size tank are they in?

I just added more spaces, a couple of them pretty small, I'm hoping the bigger ones can't get in. They're 2.5 or 3 in. long., 7 peacock/hap and a yellow lab who's maybe 1.5 in. in a 75 gallon

I just added more spaces, a couple of them pretty small, I'm hoping the bigger ones can't get in. They're 2.5 or 3 in. long., 7 peacock/hap and a yellow lab who's maybe 1.5 in. in a 75 gallon

Also add more fish. That's a good size tank. I have a 72 with about 20 mbuna and 3 peacocks and nothing goes on other than a little chasing here and there. More fish will spread that aggression out

that's a fun option, I would be leery to do so thinking of the long term, I get that it's not easy, but enjoy a roomy tank, unless all else fails and somebody is getting too beat up. He does have two tears in his tail, but doesn't seem defeated. He puffs up and fights back. If he starts to hiding, being confined to one spot, I'll definitely pick up a few more. Maybe mbuna, none of the big guys mess w my little yellow lab. But, I probably should do that because I plan on a new 6 ft. tank soon with my peacocks/ haps and some new dolphins. The boys are getting along much better today, so far =)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130623_124557.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130623_124557.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 82
oh, and more rocks/hiding places! ok guys and gals, I have a yellow lab already and have heard acei is another peaceful choice of mbuna, please list some others? thanks, They are starting to get nasty again, little stinkers, even the yellow lab just nipped him, arghh, heading to the lfs soon =)

Back
Top Bottom