Bumblebees or Convicts..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
well its time to stock a tank i have sitting in the garage since my mbuna wont be breeding anytime soon, and im wondering what to do with it, the wife wants something i dont have in my show tank (mbuna, afra, peacocks) and shes narrowed it down to bb or cons!

what experiences do you guys have with them? which is a better fish to keep? how many should i keep? how many m/f should i keep? eating habits? decor? breeding?

its a 29g tank with led lighting, ex45 tetra filter, medium river bed rock substrate and coral inserts (wifes choice) and an aqueon 100w heater as well, thanks in advance for all in the input guys!

Attachments

• EBA 006.jpg
    EBA 006.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 101
Cons are prolific breeders and I don't think they would be happy in a 29g. I'd say bb, but I'm not that familiar with African cichlids

Cons are prolific breeders and I don't think they would be happy in a 29g. I'd say bb, but I'm not that familiar with African cichlids

well if they are i can talk my wife into 86ing the larger coral insert on the left and keeping one on the right and going with a small flat breeder slate.

Bumblebees get way too big for a 29. I don't think convicts would work either. I'd go with blue rams and or gold rams with some Cory cats and tetras. I just did that with mine and the color and tank activity is great.

Lol- your wife is understanding ;-) maybe cons would be fun- depending on how much work you're willing to do... Albino convicts are pretty cool fish- personality and looks, blue cons look pretty awesome too....

Bumblebees get way too big for a 29. I don't think convicts would work either. I'd go with blue rams and or gold rams with some Cory cats and tetras. I just did that with mine and the color and tank activity is great.

Would kribs, botia and barbs work similar?

A pair of Amatitlania nigrofasciata will work just fine long term in a 29g tank if that's what you interested in, they are certainly not to large or need to kept alone.

Last edited:
Get a pair of convicts in there.... I have a breeding pair in a 20 gallon and they are happy as hell... mines only eat beef heart and flakes... I used to have 5 cons but 2 paired up and attacked everything else... I had to give them away but kelp the pair

I have a breeding pair of convicts in my 29 gallon and they are very happy! Go with convicts! It is very fun to watch them defend the eggs even if there is nothing else in the tank!

Get a pair of convicts in there.... I have a breeding pair in a 20 gallon and they are happy as hell... mines only eat beef heart and flakes... I used to have 5 cons but 2 paired up and attacked everything else... I had to give them away but kelp the pair

how many males and females were in there to begin with..?

I have a breeding pair of convicts in my 29 gallon and they are very happy! Go with convicts! It is very fun to watch them defend the eggs even if there is nothing else in the tank!

what do the females look like? all the convicts at ps look the same lol

what do the females look like? all the convicts at ps look the same lol

The females will have a blotch of orange on their sides and males dont. You could also do pink convicts, with pink convicts sexing is the same- females have an orange blotch on their stomach.

The females will have a blotch of orange on their sides and males dont. You could also do pink convicts, with pink convicts sexing is the same- females have an orange blotch on their stomach.

well sadly my lfs only has regular convicts not pink convicts, i think i might go with 2 females and 1 male or should i..?

Keep in mind a 29 gal with Cons will be cramped. Also all they need to breed is water. I'm my opinion I would go with krib's, tetras, some Corey's and possibly hatchet fish. But if your set on cons I would keep in mind water changes must be kept up on and it would have to be a species only tank since they will kill anything else in such a small space if they breed.

The breeding pair will harass the extra one. Just go with 1 male 1 female. Add caves so that they will breed.

Keep in mind a 29 gal with Cons will be cramped. Also all they need to breed is water. I'm my opinion I would go with krib's, tetras, some Corey's and possibly hatchet fish. But if your set on cons I would keep in mind water changes must be kept up on and it would have to be a species only tank since they will kill anything else in such a small space if they breed.

Ill keep it in mind, I think ill just stay with a breeding pair

Back
Top Bottom