Buying a 135 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burgo345

Aquarium Advice Activist
Buying a 135 gallon tank, what filtration am I going to need and also what kind of lights do I need for the top it comes with the tank stand and a canopy that opens up.

I was thinking the Fluval FX5 for the filter, but it is expensive so just wanted to see if there is a cheaper route.

Have no idea what size lights ect I need looking for some help.

Thanks!

I currently run 2 Rena's on my 125, xp3 and xp4. I'd say whatever brand canister, which I highly recommend, get the largest. U may even want to get more than one. As for lighting, ur gonna get tons of options here. The question is, do u want live plants or fake? If u go live plants, do u want high light plants or low light plants. It's a tough answer to give u straight out of the box.

I envy you! I would love to get a tank that size, but space and cash prohibits that at the moment. Can't really offer advise on that size as I am not in that league yet. But, I always say two filters are better than one. And always go with filters that are rated much higher than your tank size. Good luck with the tank....and have fun with it!

I agree with creic38, I like the 2 filters route. In case something goes wrong with one, I always have one running. But, in short a FX5 would work. Some basic lighting to go with ur fake plants, heater perhaps and ur pretty much good to go. Just do good cycle until BB catches up.

I used blk blasting sand in mine. Im pretty sure play sand is a go just wash it really good.

Tigerosx said:
Play sand works just fine and you'll save a heap on costs

Aint that the truth.. one 20lb bag of aqur. Sand is 17$ got my blasting sand for 7.50 for 50lbs

I prefer pool filter sand, it is heavier than play sand and the gravel vac doesn't suck it up as much.

+1 to the pool filter sand, you'll appreciate it a lot more when you use a gravel vac

What options do I have for lighting I was thinking of getting 3 24" lights because the 78" is really expensive what other options do I have?

U could honestly go to the hardware store and get a shop light there for cheap

They should have what u need there. Not sure tho might need to set up 2. It would be the cheapest most effective way to go expecially u said ur not plating correct?

Regular fluorescent lights usually have a yellowish tint to them. Yes you can do it but it won't look right. You could get them and start saving up for a 72". (3) 24" fixtures will require a minimum of 3 plugs, possibly 6 if it has moonlights. Then running on a timer will be more difficult.

Well I ordered a Rena XP4 filter today I think im gonna put that with an XP3 and I got a couple heaters to go in the tank. Tomorrow im gonna pick up the lights and the sand for the tank and Wednesday I will get the tank to my house.

Back
Top Bottom