Buying a larger female for breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

So I've got a 55gal cichlid tank with about 10 mbuna in it right now, as well as a rainbow shark, and two plecos (the plecos are most likely going to be moved soon, any sort of plant makes them think it's a salad bar in there....)

Anyways, point being, the fish are still pretty small (right around 2 inches) and they were just barely showing their colours three months ago so I'm going to assume they're still pretty young. About last month one of my females turned out to be holding, but unfortunately she died while I was having a tank overhaul with switching out my substrate :(

The thing is, I was hoping for some fry in my tank, and unfortunately she died when she was holding about 8 or so, and there hasn't been anything since.

What I was wondering, since I know there must be a mature male in the tank (only the holding female died), but I'm not sure whether or not there's any more mature females (and the males seem to outnumber the females from what I can tell). Would it be a bad idea to pick up a larger female or two (around three inches) and stick them in the tank with the rest of the fish? Does anyone have any sort of experience with this type of stuff?

Any input is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom