Bye bye bullies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have returned my 2 dragon blood peacocks to the LFS, leaving my 55 gal tall octagonal with the following stock:

2 yellow labs
1 electric blue hap
1 aulonocara Baenschi
1 red empress
2 yet to be identified peacocks
2 synodontis multipunctatas
1 bristlenose Pleco

One of my peacocks had started to spend all of his time hanging right at the back of the tank near the filter intake tube and had paled significantly from the bullying.

It has been 4 days, and his colour is returning but he is still hanging at the back of the tank.

As I had to pull out all of the rock work to catch the bullies, I used the opportunity to do a full gravel vac and rescape and there are plenty of caves and hiding spots available. All other fish have claimed their new turf but I'm worried about this guy.

Any thoughts/advice or ID would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get a better photo of him today.

Would also like to know what you think of my stock list. Being new to the hobby, I took the advice of my LFS when choosing my stock. They have been around for a really long time and seem to know what they're doing. In saying that, I asked the owner how often I should remove rock work to do a full vac, and he replied "oh about every 20 years love". Hmmmmm.

image-694269730.jpg

image-3165982238.jpg

That looks like a fire mouth cichlid but I'm not positive. I too have a cichlid tank but most are mbuna cichlids. They been bullying my fire mouth. Now he hangs behind the filter. I'm on the verge of removing him and putting him in the tetra tank

Well he obliged me and came to the front for some photos :)

His fins are pretty ragged (presumably from nipping) - I assume this will improve with time?

image-2613549828.jpg

image-2202945261.jpg

image-1479484716.jpg

image-1374087526.jpg

Oh and I should add that water params are good - 0 ammo, 0 trites, 7.8 PH and 20 trates.

I do a 40% PWC twice a week when I can or at least one 50% each week.

I am running an Eheim 2213 and have turned off the heater (stinking hot Aussie summer) and temp is pretty consistent at 28C.

That looks like a fire mouth cichlid but I'm not positive. I too have a cichlid tank but most are mbuna cichlids. They been bullying my fire mouth. Now he hangs behind the filter. I'm on the verge of removing him and putting him in the tetra tank

It's definitely not a firemouth. LFS named him as an orange shoulder peacock but I'm not convinced.

Back
Top Bottom