Can Anyone ID This Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It was labeled as Acei at PetCo. However, it's clearly not, as it does not have yellow tipped fins.

At first I thought it might be a Midnight Peacock (Aulonocara hueseri), but now I'm starting to think it is actually a Haplochromis Big Eye (Sciaenochromis ahli). Sorry for the poor quality. He's very quick and hard to get a picture of.

image-4106639577.jpg

image-3751244479.jpg

image-3078109977.jpg

LyndaB said:
It's a really pretty fish, whatever it is.

Thanks! It started to show more colors when I switched to NLS Cichlid. It is rather shy with people and not aggressive to tankmates whatsoever, despite being the largest (~3") and oldest (~4 months) Cichlid in the tank.

you got a good deal on the electric blue. my acei costed my $7, and an EB cost about $25 ish. your lucky

gman42 said:
you got a good deal on the electric blue. my acei costed my $7, and an EB cost about $25 ish. your lucky

Agreed. I see electric blues labeled as such for about that same price. Wish I could find another mislabeled one...

Funny thing about Electric Blue's, though. There has been two in separate tanks at my local PetSmart. They tell me that it kills anything that they put in with it. The one I have is not aggressive at all.

jasadell said:
They tell me that it kills anything that they put in with it. The one I have is not aggressive at all.

I just had to rehome mine, he was nasty. Attacked everyone else in a plenty big 125 gallon. I had him in his own 55 gallon for awhile, tried adding another of the same size and he was as mean as ever. So he went to a new home unfortunately :(

That's a really nice fish are they difficult to breed

jasadell said:
It was labeled as Acei at PetCo. However, it's clearly not, as it does not have yellow tipped fins.

At first I thought it might be a Midnight Peacock (Aulonocara hueseri), but now I'm starting to think it is actually a Haplochromis Big Eye (Sciaenochromis ahli). Sorry for the poor quality. He's very quick and hard to get a picture of.

If it has yellow on belly white tips on dorsal gin it's a midnight peacock
I have 1

Back
Top Bottom