Can anyone ID this cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've been in the hobby for 12 months now, and one of the things I have learned is to RESEARCH fish before adding them.

Unfortunately like so many others, I've learned this the hard way.

I bought this fish from the "Assorted Cichlid" tank at my LFS and after 4 months it is becoming a bully and I can't figure out for the life of me what it is.

The first pic is when I got it (in QT tank) and the 2nd and 3rd picture is how it looks now. Its colours faded pretty much straight away after going into the main tank and have never come back, although it's eating and growing well. Last night he/she was looking to pick a fight with anyone who looked at it sideways.

Any thoughts on ID?

image-794749251.jpg

image-3622775300.jpg

image-2165155808.jpg

That happened to a lemon Jake I had. I brought it home it had a lot of color, after about a week the color was gone. I'm not sure if it was just a dominant female at my lfs, showing color in the tank, or it was a male but so submissive he lost all of his color. Which would be weird because everyone else in my tank sites great color.

The bars and head shape say peacock. I'm gonna say its a female something or another or it's not the moss and has its colors suppressed. I have a jacobfrei I know is male but not it's just brown but my other is completely colored up.

I have the same fish and another person on this forum recently posted a pic of the same fish and didn't know what it is.

Mine has moved up to a dominant position the fins turned black and the body color changed from where it is red back it fades from red to yellow. When it isn't being aggressive or defending territory it goes back to the exact colors of what you are showing. Still no idea what type of peacock it is. I got mine from an assorted tank as well.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be moving them all into my new 4x2x2 in the next couple of weeks with lots of rockwork - hopefully the aggression I'm seeing will settle with more territories and maybe he'll colour up again. I'll keep you posted :)

Back
Top Bottom