Can I have any cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im still not sure what im going to do with my tank, I was wondering if I could have any cichlids.
Its a 64litre tank, our water is pretty hard too which i know poses problems hence my question.

But never keep cichlids with any tropical fish like neon tetras, because cichlids are aggresive and can only be with their own kind. Hope this helps!

What's going to hold you back slightly is the size of tank, I agree with regards to stocking shellies as they are fascinating to watch. The majority of cichlids will be to large for a 64l tank, if theres ever a tank upgrade the in your future the stocking options and behavior types increase dramatically. There are plenty of community cichlids like ram's, apistos, kribs, and even angels.

What are the full names for "Multies, Occies, and Brevis" so I can look them up, sorry if I sound newbish, but I am a newb to these fish.

I thought things like rams and apistos needed softer water?

I thought things like rams and apistos needed softer water?

Ph is highly overrated, once the fish are properly acclimated they will adapt quickly without any ill effects. My tap is 7.8-8.0 and I've breed everything from discus to oscars in mine.

What are the full names for "Multies, Occies, and Brevis" so I can look them up, sorry if I sound newbish, but I am a newb to these fish.

Lamprologus multifasciatus, Lamprologus Ocellatus, and Lamprologus brevis. All are fun little fish to keep. :)

After taking a look at the shelldwellers, It may seem a silly reason but I just dont find them attractive to look at, and since I'll be watching my fish quite a bit, it seems a good reason to me, Im not saying they're ugly or bad, im sure they have many merits, but they just dont take my fancy. So I guess Unless I go with rams or the like, at the moment cichlids are a no go.

Someone mentioned angels earlier, if I go basic community with the aquarium, my tanks too small for angels right?

Yes the tank would be to small for angels, shellies are not the coolest looking fish but they're behavior and antics is where they really shine.

While some may say that your tank is big enough for a ram or apisto, I would never suggest keeping either... and angels are certainly out of the question. There are other shellies out there. If you want something a little more colorful, look at Lamprologus stappersi/meleagris... they are a little more colorful, but harder to find.

I guess maybe I'll go with my original plans and have a shrimp colony or maybe an irrubusco puffer.

Back
Top Bottom