Can somebody help me with these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diego21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up these two fish today I think they are johanni's but I'm not sure. Why didnt I ask when I got them you ask? :) well, I bought come coral from a guy on CL and he decided to give away his fish so I got them from him, he didn't know anything about fish cause it was his ex wife's tank. So, does anybody know what they are exactly?

image-4168166772.jpg

Fish #1

image-503419549.jpg

Fish #1

image-1076672007.jpg

Fish #2

image-4041166204.jpg

Fish #2

Well I can tell you this much. On picture one I can't remember the name of but its a lake tanganyika cichlid. The second looks to be a lake Malawi mbuna of some sort

Edit I believe picture 1 is Julidochromis ornatus

Pic 2 maybe a Cynotilapia mbamba (Nkhungu)

Last edited:
Here is a better pic of fish #2

Attachments

• image-1898923425.jpg
    image-1898923425.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1794510770.jpg
    image-1794510770.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2259664129.jpg
    image-2259664129.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 62
Julidochromis regani. The third stripe down (not countin' the stripe along the spine) passes through the pectoral fins, IIRC the second stripe down passes through the pectoral fins in both J. dickfeldi and J. ornatus.

Pseudotropheus demasoni. Sorry, but don't see a cyno at all. Too much black and not enough striping in the dorsal, and the mouth isn't upturned enough.

WYite

Umm, now I'm really confused :) so what do you think it is? :) I guess these Latin names really confuse me :)

Wyomingite said:
Julidochromis regani. The third stripe down (not countin' the stripe along the spine) passes through the pectoral fins, IIRC the second stripe down passes through the pectoral fins in both J. dickfeldi and J. ornatus.

Pseudotropheus demasoni. Sorry, but don't see a cyno at all. Too much black and not enough striping in the dorsal, and the mouth isn't upturned enough.

WYite

I think this is the one he is saying.

Pseudotropheus demasoni
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1321

Julidochromis regani
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2190

Lol, that's fine I think your spot on. I'm just really terrible with the scientific names for the fish :) but I guess that's why I have the "brain" to ask questions to :)

Back
Top Bottom