can someone id this cichlid for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
This guy was labeled as a blue ram at the lfs. I'm thinking that its a german blue ram but I may be wrong.

ForumRunner_20120902_172735.jpg

ForumRunner_20120902_172848.jpg

This guy was labeled as a blue ram at the lfs. I'm thinking that its a german blue ram but I may be wrong.

View attachment 116271

View attachment 116272

Looks like a Ram to me :D. Rams come from 2 places (so far), Venezuala and Bolivia. The "german" variety is Venzualan and the reason it's called a GERMAN blue ram is because the discovery of this fish was made by a GERMAN collector. There's nothing German about the fish. The Bolivian variety looks almost identical but is a larger fish. So you and the LFS are correct (y)

BTW, Nice fish :D

Andy Sager said:
Looks like a Ram to me :D. Rams come from 2 places (so far), Venezuala and Bolivia. The "german" variety is Venzualan and the reason it's called a GERMAN blue ram is because the discovery of this fish was made by a GERMAN collector. There's nothing German about the fish. The Bolivian variety looks almost identical but is a larger fish. So you and the LFS are correct (y)

BTW, Nice fish :D

Thank you! But I believe you are wrong about the bolivian looking almost identical because I have one and the face (or whatever you wanna call it) is a lot shorter, almost like a pug dog lol. So can anyone tell if this is a male or female? I'm sure you'll need closer pics but I am bout to go to work and I asked the wife to take pics and send them to me if the gbr comes out. We thought atfirst it was a female but I am not sure now. My wife like the colors of it and so do I but I think it looks like it has blue lipstick on haha

Thank you! But I believe you are wrong about the bolivian looking almost identical because I have one and the face (or whatever you wanna call it) is a lot shorter, almost like a pug dog lol. So can anyone tell if this is a male or female? I'm sure you'll need closer pics but I am bout to go to work and I asked the wife to take pics and send them to me if the gbr comes out. We thought atfirst it was a female but I am not sure now. My wife like the colors of it and so do I but I think it looks like it has blue lipstick on haha

With all due respect, I saw my first live Bolivian Ram just the other day and my first thought was "Wow, that's a big ram!" When I looked at the label, the tank was marked Bolivian Blue Ram and they looked almost identical, sans the size, to the Rams I used to breed and import from S. America.

Since my time doing that, the Asian varieties of rams that are most common on the market have been colored, genetically altered and possibly no longer the fish I remember but I do know that these fish look very similar to ones I imported. ;) See if you can find pics of wild rams and you'll see what I mean. (y)

Back
Top Bottom