Can someone identify this blue cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woptang22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this african cichlid a few days ago but I didnt right down the exact name of the fish. Can anyone tell me what type of cichlid it is? Its approximately 2 1/2 inches long and a light blue color. Ill attach a few pics. I have an unclear pic but it gives a comparison next to a smaller AC. Thanks everyone. Also the last pic is of the cloudy water issue Im having. It looks like tiny pieces of sand throughout the entire aquarium. I have crushed coral which has been in the tank for maybe a week at most. Filtration is an API/Rena XPL 175 gallon canister filter and 2 fluval 4 plus internal filters. Id imagine thats plenty of filtration for a 60 gallon tank. When I unplug the API canister to clean it, the water seems to look way cleaner. Will all this cloudy, sandy looking water clear up over time?

Attachments

• bigbluecichlid.jpg
    bigbluecichlid.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 99
  • bigbluecichlid2.jpg
    bigbluecichlid2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 106
  • cloudywater.jpg
    cloudywater.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 105
Also the cloudy water pic also looks worse in the pic because of the camera. It doesnt look as terrible as the picture.

Is it the fish in the second pic on the right? Looks like a Socolofi to me. Does he have a black stripe on his top fin?

As far as the cloudy water did you cycle your tank properly? How long ago did you set it up?

Are you sure they're not micro bubbles?

The blue cichlid could be a cobalt but you need a better pic.

Yes it is the fish in the second pic on the right. its also the fish in the first pic. Looks really different though lol. My camera stinks. But the tank has been up for around a month or so. I added fish kind of fast. I guess I was just excited being this is my first aquarium. I had 6 rosie reds in the tank to get it started, then added a few african cichlids. I just forgot to write down the exact name of the fish when I bought it. Now Im just trying to figure out which it is so I can add more that will get along.
Is it the fish in the second pic on the right? Looks like a Socolofi to me. Does he have a black stripe on his top fin?

As far as the cloudy water did you cycle your tank properly? How long ago did you set it up?

If he has a black stripe on his top fin he is a socolofi. If he has a little jeweled looking circle in front of his gills he is a cobalt. I would do a water test as soon as you can. Cloudy water is usually caused by excess ammonia.

Yeah the pic really stinks. lol The fish wont hold still long enough for me to get a good pic... And as for micro bubbles Im not sure. Maybe it could be. Since the water looks better when the canister is off maybe it is micro bubbles. But if so, it really makes the water look horrible. But Im not sure if its micro bubbles or chalky substance from the crushed coral?
Are you sure they're not micro bubbles?

The blue cichlid could be a cobalt but you need a better pic.

If he has a black stripe on his top fin he is a socolofi. If he has a little jeweled looking circle in front of his gills he is a cobalt. I would do a water test as soon as you can. Cloudy water is usually caused by excess ammonia.
I did a water test today. The ammonia was a tad bit high. I have ammonia remover should I add a bit of that or will that throw the cycling off? It is a very new aquarium and Im very new to owning an aquarium.

If you have ammonia your cycle was not completed. I personally don't like ammonia remover. I would start doing frequent large water changes. This will most likely increase the length of your cycle time but your fish will have a better chance of surviving. Also remember that ammonia and nitrite will burn a fishes gills inhibiting their ability to exchange oxygen and in turn decrease their life span. Do you have any nitrate showing up on your test?

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it. As far as the levels, the ammonia was a tad high, and the nitrites were a tad high. Nitrates seemed to be ok. I guess I didnt cycle the tank properly. Do you think ammonia remover would be a fast way of solving the ammonia issue until tomorrow when I can do a water change? Also as far as water changes what would you recommend on my 60 gallon? And will doing a large water change frequently continuously ruin the cycle?

If you have ammonia your cycle was not completed. I personally don't like ammonia remover. I would start doing frequent large water changes. This will most likely increase the length of your cycle time but your fish will have a better chance of surviving. Also remember that ammonia and nitrite will burn a fishes gills inhibiting their ability to exchange oxygen and in turn decrease their life span. Do you have any nitrate showing up on your test?

This will probably help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I would probably do a 50% water change if I were you, but if you really can't right now, do you have a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so you could dose the proper amount and wait until the morning I suppose. Water changes won't ruin the cycle since most of the bacteria is in the filter, substrate, etc. It might slow it a little but getting rid of the ammonia, etc. is more important.

Thank you very much. That was very informative. I think I should do a water change. I appreciate your help. I better get on this water change ASAP.

This will probably help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I would probably do a 50% water change if I were you, but if you really can't right now, do you have a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so you could dose the proper amount and wait until the morning I suppose. Water changes won't ruin the cycle since most of the bacteria is in the filter, substrate, etc. It might slow it a little but getting rid of the ammonia, etc. is more important.

With a fishless cycle I read ammonia needs to be added. But being I have fish in the tank with ammonia levels a bit high will adding an ammonia remover ruin the cycle?

This will probably help.

Just be patient. I know its hard to wait to fill your aquarium with all kinds of cool fish but you and your fish will be happier in the long run. :) At least you sought out advice. Some people never do and kill fish until they end up giving up on this very rewarding hobby.

Glad I could help.

I'm not familiar with any of those products. I would say that doing a water change is a better choice though. I think it's better to change water then add unnecessary chemicals or whatever it is. You will need to test your water daily and possibly do daily pwcs to keep your water parameters in check.

I feel bad I bought these cichlids and I have put them in harms way. I guess all I can do is hope they will be fine. Now I know not to add anymore fish until fully cycled. Should the african cichlids I currently have in the tank be ok or is there a good chance they may die? They seem fine so far. I hope it stays that way.

Just be patient. I know its hard to wait to fill your aquarium with all kinds of cool fish but you and your fish will be happier in the long run. :) At least you sought out advice. Some people never do and kill fish until they end up giving up on this very rewarding hobby.

Thanks again. Ill make sure I do regular water changes to keep ontop of this. I just hope the fish have a chance of surviving. I feel bad I put them in unhealthy water.

Glad I could help.

I'm not familiar with any of those products. I would say that doing a water change is a better choice though. I think it's better to change water then add unnecessary chemicals or whatever it is. You will need to test your water daily and possibly do daily pwcs to keep your water parameters in check.

I feel bad I bought these cichlids and I have put them in harms way. I guess all I can do is hope they will be fine. Now I know not to add anymore fish until fully cycled. Should the african cichlids I currently have in the tank be ok or is there a good chance they may die? They seem fine so far. I hope it stays that way.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad. You are learning and trying to correct the problem. Everybody makes mistakes when starting out. The big thing is doing your best to minimize them. I can't really say as far as the health of the fish, but I think if you make sure the parameters are good from now on they will probably be ok.

Hopefully everything goes well. I just did an ammonia test with the master test kit. It looks as if its between .25 and .50 So its high. Im hoping the water change will help. I want to get this done correctly. Well at least from here on out.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad. You are learning and trying to correct the problem. Everybody makes mistakes when starting out. The big thing is doing your best to minimize them. I can't really say as far as the health of the fish, but I think if you make sure the parameters are good from now on they will probably be ok.

Back
Top Bottom