Can you identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is a picture of a fish from my friend's tank. He doesn't know what it is, other than some type of cichlid. It's about 6 inches long and pale colored. Any ideas?

38387-albums1774-picture11996.jpg

Pseudotropheus Socolofi if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=919

I had one as well when I was younger pictured in my attachement. One of my favorite fish I've ever owned. I tried pairing it up by buying 4 and this one ended up chasing around the other 3 to the point where they were stressed enough to take them back to the LFS. It has a very big personality, VERY versatile fish. Mine survived a move 2.5hrs away with the water level dropped to about 1/4 and survived the move back one year later. Most accounts say its semi-agressive, however I only had a 29gal tank so it claimed the whole tank. I couldn't keep anything in there.

Attachments

• fish 028.jpg
    fish 028.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 199
It's not a socolofi with the lack of black around his finnage, my first guess was a metraclima callainos or estheras but his head is strangely shaped any chance for some closer pictures and maybe a little better color?

Last edited:
Good point on the finnage. Mine would lose the black when not very happy that's why I suggested it.

After looking at the Metriaclima, I am more inclined to think it's that one as well. With the lighting in the picture, we may be missing the dark "zebra" stripes common to most of them, as well as the fish may not be too happy and they are not showing.

Most likely m. callainos (cobalt blue zebra); this species is typically stripe-less. Fairly common in the hobby. Looks to be a male based on the length of its pelvic fins.

P. socolofi are more 'torpedo-shaped' as opposed to the stocky robustly-built zebra's.

Back
Top Bottom