can you keep a BN pleco with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thebluyak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to keep a BN pleco with 2 labs, 1 red zebra,1 swallowtail in a 36g? Or any algea eater for that matter? I wont be able to get my ferts until after vacation in like 2 weeks and by then I will have alotta algea buildup on my rocks and driftwood, is it possible to keep one with these cichlids?

I wouldn't keep any pleco except for a common since they grow large in size. A 36 gal isn't large enough for a common though.

the BN pleco would be directly competing with the zebra, since they are in the same feeding niche. if the zebra is really obnoxious (and a male can be), then the BN will need some fending, though they are built to withstand abuse.
i wouldn't recommend ottos, SAE's (a strict no-no), CAE's (though a full-grown one might be able to hold its own), or other algae-eaters for that matter.
try to control the algae buildup through other means. personally i let the algae grow for a natural look.
i'm not sure what a swollowtail, but assuming its a peacock or a hap, it shouldn't mind the BN, nor should the labs.

I don't know cichlids too well, so I don't know what sizes yours get, but my DBN was the only fish that my Jewel Cichlid would leave alone. If you are worried about it, try looking into some of the armoured plecs.

well my zebra is small, only about 2 inchs long as are the labs. The peacock is the only big one about 5 inchs almost full grown. What are some of the armoured plecos? The algea on the rocks is fine but it just doesnt look good on the filter intake and out put.

You can always clean the algae yourself; much more effective (and practical) than to expect a fish to do our "housekeeping" for us.

Back
Top Bottom