Can you mix dwarf cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would love to add a pair of blue rams and a pair of cockatoo's to the same tank.

I did some research and it said that they usually have a terrirtory distance of 6 icnhes and the tank is 36 inches in length so everything should be ok.

So could I add them both if I wanted to ?

I don't know what you are referring to as 'cockatoos', but dwarf South American cichlids can live together provided there isn't much competition for territory and mates. A 36" long tank is fine for the dwarfs. I'm assuming you are intending to put them in with the discus. This itself may pose a problem. I've had the experience of discus killing off rams and other dwarf cichlids introduced into their territory. Better to introduce the discus to the dwarfs than the dwarfs to the discus.

If you are still going to try, any new fish going in with discus should be quarantined for at least two weeks. Then slowly acclimated and introduced while the other fish are eating.

To be honest with you, regardless how many gallons that 3 foot tank is and whether or not the dwarfs would go in with them, those 4 discus will become too big and is a risk for any new fish being introduced. They pretty much rule the tank and without much space they will kill other fish. As frail as they are to water quality, they are still cichlids with cichlid aggression. You'd be better off keeping them by themselves with perhaps a small group of cory cats.

Ive kept apisogramma cacatuoides and rams with discus very well together. They seem to completely ignore each other in fact. Even when the male ram is frantically chasing the females around the tank the discus how no sign of notice. I have also introduced a pretty small female ram into the tank after it was established with no problems what so ever.

In my opinion, swarf cichlids such as apistogrammas and blue rams make great tank mates for discus if you must have other fish in the tank besides discus. They require similar water, foods ect.

Ive also herd of people keeping many dwarfs in close quarters, although this would seriously best be left to some one with significant experience with the particular species. Apistos are found in waters with significant leaf litter and are often packed together very tight in the reivers/streams.-I will find my source.

But yes do quarantine any new arrivals especially the dwarfs because breeders may be less likely to pre treat the fish. I actually had 2 separate dwarfs bring in 2 different illnesses to my tank quate a while ago and I will not add any new dwarfs without a long quarantine. I currently have a pair of apisto. agassizii almost ready to add to my tank when I find a block of time at night(Wednesday).

And yes, that 3 foot tank shouldnt be able to hold that many more fish! 3 feet is not long at all even if it is like 24 inches wide/deep, so I would consider it almost tapped out with a small group of discus and some dwarfs.

What exactly are the demensions of your tank? Its kinda hard to offer advice without knowing really how much room, how many fish and how many gallons you have.

You're lucky or I was unlucky...lol. I introduced a small batch of blue rams to 3 pairs of discus in an 80+ gallon. They killed every one of them. I was completely surprised. I know it's not impossible to do. Perhaps I just had some very ruly discus at the time, but I thought I'd add the warning. Doesn't hurt to watch closely just in case something like that does happen because it can. What an upset that was. Damn fish!!...LOL.

Sounds like you may have some killer discus!

I have been warned about keeping some fish with discus such as tetras and could possibly understand the threat there if the discus were very large, but I just dont see that much problems with dwarfs in that they will stay on the bottom most of the time(hiding) and discus will be in the middle.

But yes, quarentine them well and add them when the other fish are well fed and watch out for aggression because the stress will kill many of the dwarfs.

fantasticaqua thank you for that tid bit :) I love the cacatuoides. Had a real nice pair of double reds displayed in our plant tank for a long time. Someone finally bought them. They were an adult pair and wow they can be expensive. I just never heard cockatoo being used before. Now I know what people are talking about :)

Back
Top Bottom