Can you please ID these Africans(first time owner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfricanCichlidOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I just started up I would like to know what I have exactly in my tank, I know they're Africans at least. I want to know if they're haps, peacocks, or mbuno's. ( not even sure what all that means ) please help as much as you can! Thank you so much.

I have 2 yellow, 2 blue ones, an albino one, and the colorful what I think is a peacock. The last picture is the setup as a whole.

Attachments

• image-1393864717.jpg
    image-1393864717.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image-4058919438.jpg
    image-4058919438.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image-936773561.jpg
    image-936773561.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2113221393.jpg
    image-2113221393.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2912335590.jpg
    image-2912335590.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image-556157463.jpg
    image-556157463.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 125
You have yellow labs cobalt blue zebras albino zebra and a peacock. all but the peacock are mbunas they are a rock dwelling territorial cichlids most get between 3 and 7 inches like alot of vegetables in their diet they will graze on algae if you have any. And to much protein can give them malawi blout... of course there is tons more info out there just trying to give you a little something

Can I keep them together and right now I'm feeding them cichlid flakes and some nls for salt fish with garlic, I got the wrong stuff. What should I be feeding them?

Do I need to feed then algae wafers or whatever they're called? Just a little confused on the foods.

I just remembered some of them look to be what I thought is pregnant I'm guessing that's what that is. Are they harmed by it and and what should I do to help them more..

Is what I have in there for cover fine or what would you suggest? I want to keep it a minimal look but I don't want them getting hurt.

the peacock looks like a rubin red peacock. but i could be wrong, how big is it ?

Yea they are compatible..there are lots of cichlid foods out there but a food with spirulina is recommended ...blanch some vegetables up for them to they should nibble on that

From that picture they look fine maybe your just feeding a little much.. if it was pregnant eggs would be in the females mouth...this is called holding

Yea they are compatible..there are lots of cichlid foods out there but a food with spirulina is recommended ...blanch some vegetables up for them to they should nibble on that

The spirulina would feed both types? And I could do a flake food?

Its more for mbunas i think peacocks are more carnivorous but it wont hurt them... there are lots of cichlid foods pellets are usually recommended i use new life spectrum cichlid formula and this new stuff im trying out from cobalt aquatics

So you recommend the new life? I heard its the best stuff. I'm probably gonna get me some of that or the spirulina you talked about.

Yea ive heard good stuff about it on here thats why i use it and the spirulina usually comes in flakes its a little more difficult to find tho

AfricanCichlidOwner said:
The peacock is probably about 2 to 2.5 inches right nls. It looks kinda orangeish to me, but like I said I'm new to this..

it will most likely darken as it gets bigger

AfricanCichlidOwner said:
So you recommend the new life? I heard its the best stuff. I'm probably gonna get me some of that or the spirulina you talked about.

i use new life as well its great :) i also use new era cichlid green :)

Thank you all so much. :) so much help. If I have other questions I hope to get more help from you guys. Thanks!

right now I'm feeding them cichlid flakes and some nls for salt fish with garlic, I got the wrong stuff. What should I be feeding them?

Don't feed them the NLS marine pellets you have, they will be too high in protein and cause your fish to have some serious issues. Do any of your fish have long, white, stringy feces? Have any stopped eating?

Sounds like you settled on NLS cichlid formula. Good choice.

Don't feed them the NLS marine pellets you have, they will be too high in protein and cause your fish to have some serious issues. Do any of your fish have long, white, stringy feces? Have any stopped eating?

Sounds like you settled on NLS cichlid formula. Good choice.

Even though the mbunas like the veggies the nls for cichlids does good?

Back
Top Bottom