canister filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stone1269

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 150g tank and looking to buy a canister filter. What would b the best size?

+1
totally agree as a single filter for that size tank. Just add fish + water.

Will it keep my water clearer than the fluval underwater filter I have now?

Fx5 is good and has great design, but get 2 of them. I Recently got one for my 180 gallon and the output and general circulation is a joke.

I am convinced it would not work for the 400 gallons max they claim.

I have a fluval U4 that cycles 260gph now so do I need the canister filter? I want the best quality water for my fish an perfect clarity for myself lol

So most gph ratings are based on an empty filter. Adding media will slow down the flow. I too was slightly unimpressed with the lack of output but I contribute that to using a full bag of bio media in each of two trays and three polishing pads in the third tray. Interested in hearing what you have in yours. Either way I think the fx5 is fantastic.

stone1269 said:
I have a fluval U4 that cycles 260gph now so do I need the canister filter? I want the best quality water for my fish an perfect clarity for myself lol

What kind of stock do you have? For neons you would be fine with what you have. For several messy fish like gold fish, oscars, plecos and the like I would aim for atleast 5 times the tank volume filtered per hour.

I only have the media that came with it there is a thin rough filter and thick sponge on both sides an the tray of media n the center.

I have 1 really large JD 2 smaller ones a med size flowerhorn 1butterkofeli 1texas green 3small convicts 1ACEI 1albino African 1electric blue johanni and a few plecos

joejeff said:
Why not a sump.for such a large system?

I don't wanna drill holes n my tank lol not sure if it will b strong enough for that

stone1269 said:
I have 1 really large JD 2 smaller ones a med size flowerhorn 1butterkofeli 1texas green 3small convicts 1ACEI 1albino African 1electric blue johanni and a few plecos

I would not do a sump as its more appropriate for a salt water set up but with your plecos you really want to get a lot of good filtration. I still think the fx5 is your best bet at around 200 bucks on amazon.com.

Ok thanx I will check it out I'm still planning on keeping my underwater fluval as well and I have been reading up on the sci biostones? Ever heard of them?

Back
Top Bottom