Canister Filter Necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon tank with lake Malawai mbuna cichlids. I was looking at getting the Eheim 2217 canister filter which is has a flow rate of about 265 gph. Alternatively I can buy 2 AC110 HOB filters which have a flow rate of 500 gph each (1000 gph total) for less than I can buy one Eheim 2217. So I guess what I am wondering is, will 2 AC110's do atleast as good a job as the 1 Eheim 2217 will do?

I have 2 hob filters on my African tank and they do just fine. Water parameters are always fine. I do a 30% water change per week and regular gravel vacs. It pretty much comes down to personal preference and your maintenance schedule.

I wouldn't compare the flow rate of an HOB to canister. What I would look at is media capacity. With that being said, using good aquarium practices (water testing, gravel vac, water changes), 2 AC 110 will be fine in a 55g.

I agree either will work just fine. I have three canister filters on my 125 and 2 HOB on my 16. My only advice is if you pick a canister filter don't believe the hype on not rinsing or changing your media for 60 to 90 days. I rinse my media or replace if needed every 30 days. This will keep your filtration working at optimum level. I run Fluval 405, Rena XP3, and Eheim 2213. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH FILTRATION! :)

akagochi said:
I agree either will work just fine. I have three canister filters on my 125 and 2 HOB on my 16. My only advice is if you pick a canister filter don't believe the hype on not rinsing or changing your media for 60 to 90 days. I rinse my media or replace if needed every 30 days. This will keep your filtration working at optimum level. I run Fluval 405, Rena XP3, and Eheim 2213. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH FILTRATION! :)

Which of those 3 filters do you prefer and have the least trouble with?

I have two 55 gal tanks. One has an eheim 2217 + AC110, and the other has two AC110's. Both filter great, the HOBs get cleaned weekly during PWCs because they are more accessible. The HOBs also have more water movement which the fish prefer. I love the 2217 but its more expensive and a chore to clean every six weeks. If you don't have room behind the tanks, don't want to see the filters, or don't want to hear any water flow, then go with the canister. Otherwise the AC110 is a great filter that you can customize with any type of media.

Slade said:
I have two 55 gal tanks. One has an eheim 2217 + AC110, and the other has two AC110's. Both filter great, the HOBs get cleaned weekly during PWCs because they are more accessible. The HOBs also have more water movement which the fish prefer. I love the 2217 but its more expensive and a chore to clean every six weeks. If you don't have room behind the tanks, don't want to see the filters, or don't want to hear any water flow, then go with the canister. Otherwise the AC110 is a great filter that you can customize with any type of media.

Do you find the water in the one with the canister and the HOB to be clearer than then one with 2 HOB?

Media determines how much more clear a tank is, not necessarily an HOB vs canisters.

If you really want a clear tank, and still have a lot of bio-media, get 1 canister and 1 HOB. Fill the HOB with pillow stuffing or very fine filter pads. This will have to be changed every week or when the flow gets really low.

Do NOT use the fine filter pads in a canister filter, so that you don't have to service it too often. Fine filter pads really clog up quickly.

rocksor said:
Media determines how much more clear a tank is, not necessarily an HOB vs canisters.

If you really want a clear tank, and still have a lot of bio-media, get 1 canister and 1 HOB. Fill the HOB with pillow stuffing or very fine filter pads. This will have to be changed every week or when the flow gets really low.

Do NOT use the fine filter pads in a canister filter, so that you don't have to service it too often. Fine filter pads really clog up quickly.

Would this pillow stuffing be comparable to the polishing pads that alot of canister filters come with? Or are the polishing pads ok to leave in?

I've used pillow stuffing/pillow batting (polyester fiberfill), and it does a pretty good job of catching the gunk. Once it is clogged you just throw it away. It's pretty cheap. Don't get the cotton kind. If you are uncomfortable in using the pillow stuffing from Walmart, you can order filter floss from Big Al's Pet online.

You could leave the polishing pads in the canister, but then it would have to be opened more often due to clogging. I really don't like opening up canister filters too often.

One AC110 will be sufficient of a 55. Don't be misled by the often repeated statement that cannisters have more bio media. If they did, the capacity would be greater than a similar HOB. The ratings of filters are relative.So, if a HOB is capable of filtering 100 gallons, it needs to have the same amount of bio media as a cannister rated for the same filtration.
Regardless, you still have to change water and clean filters. Clean filters will result in lower nitrate numbers, than filters that are left. An Ac filter is about the easiest to clean and can be done without even turning off the filter. this makes it convenient to clean every water change, thereby removing solid materials before they can break down.

Basically what I am wondering is if 2 AC110's will do as good a job at keeping my water clean and growing BB as what one Eheim 2217 canister filter will

I find canisters much easier to maintain, the eheims can very easily be unplugged and moved for maintenance. A large canister/sump can't be beat on a large tank!

Of the three that I have they all work great. With my eheim I do not have the trays to place my media in like the fluval and Rena provide. Another thing with the canister filters is if you get lured into purchasing all the media they recommend you will spend a lot of money. Buy your media in bulk and break it down specifically for when you need it. The brand name media is pricey. As far as changin it the Rena is super easy because you do not have to fill it with new water like you do with the fluval or eheim before putting it back under your tank. They all prime differently as well so there are preferences there. They are ALL great though.

As far as changin it the Rena is super easy because you do not have to fill it with new water like you do with the fluval or eheim before putting it back under your tank.

You don't have to fill either the fluval or eheim with water before you put it under the tank. You can use gravity and water from the tank to fill the canisters prior to turning them on. All you do is empty the outlet hose in a bucket, then open the inlet hose, putting water into the bucket until you get a nice steady stream. Close the inlet hose, connect both the inlet and outlet hose to the canister. Open the inlet hose, and wait until you hear running water stop. Turn on canister.

I just built a 55 gallon aquarium and went through all this just saying 1 big canister is a lot more efficiant and less time consuming then have two hob filters. a canister also circulates water better. put inlet on one end and outlet on the other and call it a day :)
I just set up my Fluval Fx5 yesterday and its so much less to worry about than my hobs

I just purchased the Eheim Pro 3 2075 canister. Wanted a backup for my XP3 I had for many years. It was either the XP4 or Eheim as the price was exactly the same. I had Eheim canisters before growing up, but this XP3 was a work horse... never failed always worked just like it was brand new.
I hope this 2075 will be up there.

You don't have to fill either the fluval or eheim with water before you put it under the tank. You can use gravity and water from the tank to fill the canisters prior to turning them on. All you do is empty the outlet hose in a bucket, then open the inlet hose, putting water into the bucket until you get a nice steady stream. Close the inlet hose, connect both the inlet and outlet hose to the canister. Open the inlet hose, and wait until you hear running water stop. Turn on canister.
Hmm. I may try it that way. I have always done it the hard way, but thanks for the tip. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom