Can't Find my Red Shoulders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcock

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been cycling a 125 for a month and a half now so you can imagine my excitement when my nitrites went to zero and I got to go get some fish. I went a specialized LFS who breeds and sells Africans and picked out four Red Shoulders and I've only seen them twice since Sunday. My question is how can I make them less timid. I didn't choose such beautiful fish so they would stay in the rock work all of the time I want to see them.

I've been cycling a 125 for a month and a half now so you can imagine my excitement when my nitrites went to zero and I got to go get some fish. I went a specialized LFS who breeds and sells Africans and picked out four Red Shoulders and I've only seen them twice since Sunday. My question is how can I make them less timid. I didn't choose such beautiful fish so they would stay in the rock work all of the time I want to see them.

Just be patient and give them some time to get used to their new home.

I had a similar experience with my synodontis. I purchased 4 of them and it took about 2 weeks for them to get comfortable. The tank is a 180 with lots of hiding spots and rock work. Now when I get the cups out to feed, they come out just like the rest of the groups ready to pounce. The fish know what those little tupperware cups are for.

I've been trying to show them the cup every day before I feed but they still hang out in the rock work and aren't eager to come out and play.

This has been the case for every African I've kept. The first week or so, they hide. After a month or two, if I didn't see them right up front when I'd walk by the tank, they'd either be holding or the lights would be out.

I just assumed they would be more personable because my breeder was hand feeding them. He could even handle the fish with no problem. They all seem to swim right for his hand in his tanks. And they were eager to see people in his tanks as well.

They were used to his tank too. Once you bagged them up, took them home, and put them in an unfamiliar tank, they lost that feeling of security they had. It'll come back in time. Every fish I've ever had was this way. Some get over it quicker than others.

BTW, PM me the info for that breeder if you don't mind. I'd like to visit some new ones.

Back
Top Bottom