Case of the VANISHING Chichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlm3660

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over Christmas the pumps on my 500L tank of mature african cichlids failed, so I came home from my 3 day vacation to a tank full of floating fish. All 15 died, except for the 'cleaner'; the tank cleaning fish.

After cleaning out the entire tank over a few days and leaving it to settle (ph, ammonia and temperature all tested and fine) I bought two electric yellows, two blue and black striped cichlids and two yellow with a brown giraffe pattern from a private seller. After taking a few hours to introduce all six 1 to 2cm fish into the tank with the remaining 8cm 'cleaner' and two white goldfish-looking fish (about 3cm) that a friend gave me the day before, I observed the fish for a total of about 2 hours over the evening before I went to bed. None of the existing fish approached or were aggressive with the 6 new cichlids.

Woke up this morning and BAM, all 6 new fish were completely gone! No bodies in the filter, under the gravel or anywhere. I completely dismantled the tank looking for them. What's more, the 'cleaner' and two white goldfish-looking fish did not have inflated bellies or sign of having eaten them.

I have no pet cat. All water tests still came back fine after the fish disappeared.

I'd understand if one or two went missing... but all six! WHAT THE.......... ?

Do you have a canister filter, hob filter, or sump? If you have a sump or canister, check inside of them, especially the intake

Back
Top Bottom